Author: copchen

在娘胎里就开始与时间的赛跑 C-E [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-1 22:09:01 |Display all floors
The end of  August cannot be busier for those doctors and nursing members in Beijing  Maternity Hospital.

Many pregnent women demand a Caesarean birth even when their babies are not yet due, so their children will not be delayed for a year to enroll to schools. "Even though they're required to take a cut, the expentant mums still want to let their children to start competing against time." said Zhang in a smile, a doctor working in the hospital.

宁可挨一刀,也要让孩子还在娘胎里就开始与时间的赛跑

没想到怎么翻

[ Last edited by hly2006 at 2006-9-1 10:14 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-2 00:53:06 |Display all floors
Here's my version, based on the English of all the others:
    The last days in August are the busiest time of the year for doctors and nurses at Beijing Maternity Hospital. In order for their children to avoid a full year's delay in schooling in the future, many expectant mothers demand a Caesarean section even before the baby is due.  “These mothers-to-be would rather go under the knife than not give their kids a head start right from a womb,” a Dr. Zhao said to reporters, smiling,
jest, as a verb, is fairly uncommon, tumu, so I went with "said…smiling."

Those Beijing moms! Wanting their kids to have every advantage right from the start!

It's true, rovi! There's a reason why the normal gestation period in humans is nine months. (I was born premature at six and a half months, by the way—I'll leave it up to you as to whether that statement applies to me! )

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-2 02:24:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-9-2 00:53
jest, as a verb, is fairly uncommon, tumu, so I went with "said…smiling."

……一位姓赵的医生笑着对记者说:“这些准妈妈们,宁可挨一刀,也要让孩子还在娘胎里就开始与时间的赛跑。”
"These would-be moms wouldn't mind getting a slit just to have their babies start the race against time right from the womb, " jested Dr. Zhao with a smile. (-- tumu)

for what is quoted in the "news report", the journalist has good reasons to indicate explicitly that the doctor was teasing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-2 02:48:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-9-2 00:53
Here's my version, based on the English of all the others:
... “These mothers-to-be would rather go under the knife than not give their kids a head start right from a womb,” a Dr. Zhao said to reporters, smiling,

here, "与时间的赛跑" can mean more than just "a head start" at birth. the phrase is used to enhance a message: the race against time for the baby and the parents can start before the baby is born.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-2 06:42:00 |Display all floors
"to jest" is less common than "to say in jest":  ...a smiling Dr. Zhao said in jest.
"getting a slit" sounds a bit odd, evoking images of other body parts; a similar but more colloquial expression for Cesarean is "getting sliced".

[ Last edited by machece at 2006-9-2 06:46 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-2 09:45:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by nyleda at 2006-9-1 10:48 AM

here, "与时间的赛跑" can mean more than just "a head start" at birth. the phrase is used to enhance a message: the race against time for the baby and the parents can start before the baby is born. ...
Hmm, how do you convey that in English?
    “These mothers-to-be would rather go under the knife than not get a head start for themselves and their kids even before the expected due date”?
It's a bit tough.
Originally posted by machece at 2006-9-1 02:42 PM
"to jest" is less common than "to say in jest":  ...a smiling Dr. Zhao said in jest.
"getting a slit" sounds a bit odd, evoking images of other body parts...
" 'Just-in-time' gestation" said a  Dr. Zhao smiling. justifiably, in jest. (:), machece)

Actually "jest" and "in jest" is used more for utterances that you're not serious about. Here, our smiling Sr Zhao, while obviously commenting in a humorous way on the situation, is making a fairly accurate assessment of the situation—it's not quite a jest in the way the word is typically used, although it could be used like that.

It's hard (for me, anyway) to tell if Dr Zhao is amused by the lengths the moms will go to benefit their kids or expressing mild disapproval in a humorous way. (I just assume, or hope, that the mothers in the article are just a short time away from giving birth in any case.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-2 11:14:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-9-2 09:45
Actually "jest" and "in jest" is used more for utterances that you're not serious about. Here, our smiling Sr Zhao, while obviously commenting in a humorous way on the situation, is making a fairly accurate assessment of the situation—it's not quite a jest in the way the word is typically used, although it could be used like that.

It's hard (for me, anyway) to tell if Dr Zhao is amused by the lengths the moms will go to benefit their kids or expressing mild disapproval in a humorous way. (I just assume, or hope, that the mothers in the article are just a short time away from giving birth in any case.)  

一位姓赵的医生笑着对记者说:“这些准妈妈们,宁可挨一刀,也要让孩子还在娘胎里就开始与时间的赛跑。”
"These would-be moms wouldn't mind getting sliced just to have their babies start the race against time right from the womb," a smiling Dr. Zhao said in jest.

please note the satiric effects when these idiomatic expressions "宁可挨一刀", "还在娘胎里", and "与时间的赛跑" are put together. the first two, ie, "挨一刀" and "在娘胎里" are more obvious.

here, "挨一刀" separately means "get sliced" and it effects a stark contrast with the main message "letting a race against time started" when being put together. the doc seemed to say that these women considered the surgery no more serious than a few scraches on skins.

"在娘胎里", together with "挨一刀", sets a sarcastic tone for the sentence, comparing "before born" to "from the womb". "与时间的赛跑" implies a sport, racing against time, that has started right now before the baby is born.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.