Author: copchen

新闻翻译练习C-E:苏联解体十五周年 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-30 16:45:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rovi297 at 2006-8-29 06:40 PM
Well, we may wait for Jeff to come forward with his superb version.
Thanks, rovi, as always! I was busy so I didn't get a chance to answer till now. My take is
    Fifteen years after the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russia's president Putin said aloud what is, in effect, on the minds of Russians: "Whoever does not regret the disintegration of the Soviet Union is heartless; whoever wants to see its return foolish."
I based mine on nyleda's mostly but on everyone's really.

I actually tried to find the English translation of the original  Russian but couldn't. Of course, I always enjoy seeing alice toss her hat into the ring…

I avoided that past perfect/present perfect dilemma, rovi, by just saying "Fiften years after…"

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-8-30 16:51:46 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-8-30 17:00:03 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 17:30:17 |Display all floors
All hat tossing really should go to nyleda. I based my version mainly on his. Still, thanks, rovi! A compliment from you always means a lot! (Unlike those from most Westerners. )

mindless/foolish
Well, it depends on the Chinese wording which really depends on the Russian.

I chose foolish (lacking in good sense or judgment) rather than mindless (lacking intelligence, reason, and sense) because it seemed less harsh. It really depends on what Putin really wanted to say. (It's probably the hardest word in the passage to translate accurately.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 17:40:07 |Display all floors

i like this version

在苏联解体十五年之后,俄总统普京的一句评语精辟地道出了俄罗斯人的心声:“谁不为苏联解体而惋惜,谁就没有良心;谁想恢复过去的苏联,谁就没有头脑”。
try:
Fifteen years after the ex-soviet's disintegration, Russian President Putin made a brilliant comment that reflected precisely what is in the mind of all Russians:"He who feels no sorry for the dismantlement of our former country is heartless; yet he who wishes for the return of the old days is foolish."

however,

dimantlement 通常指拆卸實在的物件, 可考慮 breakdown OR  collapse

[ Last edited by felicitysam at 2006-8-30 05:44 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-30 18:03:20 |Display all floors

Reply #19 felicitysam's post

Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-31 01:03:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by felicitysam at 2006-8-30 17:40
dimantlement 通常指拆卸實在的物件, 可考慮 breakdown OR  collapse

it is unlikely that a russian nationalist would use these words in mentioning his former nation.

from a nationalist point of view, the disintegration of the former soviet union was a result of "color" revolution originated by russia's enemies. the president saw a single large country being broken apart with pieces taken away by color revolutions occured in the independent republics. the pain caused by this process of dismantlement could be strong.

[ Last edited by nyleda at 2006-8-31 01:46 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.