Author: copchen

新闻翻译练习C-E:职业乞丐 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-29 10:35:34 |Display all floors

a career beggar

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 10:46:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-8-29 10:02
Funny, I didn't think turning on the windshield wipers occurred to most people!Hmm, is that necessary in Shenzen? Here in the US the cars are usually already stopped at the red light. Traffi ...

i tried that method myself. and guess what i heard from the guy at the time? "ha you know this!" it was not in shenzheng. it was in nyc.

i don't know if it is necessary to stop a car to ask for money at red lights. but 拦车 means stop a car.

a trick the beggar may use is to hint that he will make the driver missing the green light. the driver knows there is a trap there and the consequences of refusing the beggar. perhaps, 拦车行乞 means to demand for money by threatening to delay the driver at the turn of the traffic lights.

[ Last edited by nyleda at 2006-8-29 10:59 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 10:48:34 |Display all floors
A professional panhandler on the street in Shenzhen could reportedly rake in as much as 3,000 yuan RMB a month!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 10:59:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-8-29 01:53
Usually, I wait for Alice's translation and then revise ("piggyback" on) hers but I'll go first this time:

A survey by urban management authority shows that beggars in the ...

Jeff, I just spared some time to translate it in order not to disappoint you:

据城管部门调查,在深圳街头行乞的职业乞丐,月收入竟然高达3000元。据介绍,一些乞丐,除了在路边行乞外,甚至趁红灯时跑到路中心拦车行乞,给路人带来许多不便。

According to a survey performed by the city administration section, a professional beggar who went begging in the streets of Shenzhen could secure a monthly earning up to ¥3000. It was said that besides begging on the sides of the road, some beggars even ran to the middle of the road to stop cars for money when the cars were waiting for green lights, which caused much inconvenience for the passers-by.

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-8-29 12:08:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-8-29 12:13:23 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 15:32:24 |Display all floors
Thanks, alice! As usual, I like your translation!

Maybe "stop the cars" here is short for intercept them and delay them from moving while they make their "demands."

nyleda: "Ha, you know this"? 哈哈, that's funny! You're on to them! (I thought you were in the UK! Visiting NY?)

Ha ha, rovi, as usual, you cut through all the blather and get right to the heart of the matter! I love that word "pounce"!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.