Views: 3099|Replies: 18

新闻翻译练习C-E:职业乞丐 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-28 22:35:50 |Display all floors
据城管部门调查,在深圳街头行乞的职业乞丐,月收入竟然高达3000元。据介绍,一些乞丐,除了在路边行乞外,甚至趁红灯时跑到路中心拦车行乞,给路人带来许多不便。

=====新闻翻译,纯属练习。欢迎参与,互相学习。=====

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-28 23:08:10 |Display all floors
Public administration's survey shows that the beggers, who cadge in the streets of Shenzhen, have actually monthly income of RMB 3000. It is said, except cadge by the roadside, some of them even run the red light to the crossroad and ask drivers for money,  bringing great trouble to the passerby.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 00:11:45 |Display all floors
据城管部门调查,在深圳街头行乞的职业乞丐,月收入竟然高达3000元。据介绍,一些乞丐,除了在路边行乞外,甚至趁红灯时跑到路中心拦车行乞,给路人带来许多不便。
A survey by urban management authority shows that beggars in the streets of Shengzhen could 'earn' as much as  3000 yuan a month by begging.
It also said some of them not only beg in the streets, but also get in the middle of road  to ask money through the car windows  during the red light time, and causes a lot of traffic problems.

[ Last edited by hly2006 at 2006-8-29 12:14 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 01:53:05 |Display all floors
Usually, I wait for Alice's translation and then revise ("piggyback" on) hers but I'll go first this time:

A survey by urban management authority shows that beggars in the streets of Shengzhen 'earn' as much as  3000 yuan a month by begging. It also said that some of them not only beg in the streets, but also step into the middle of the street, asking for money through car windows  when the cars are stopped at red lights, causing traffic problems.
Your translation is great, hly! I just changed it a little.

(In New York about 20 years ago, "squeegee men" would approach cars stopped at red lights, clean their windows without asking and expect a "tip." Most drivers were too intimidated to refuse. Mayor Rudolph Giuliani somehow ended the practice.)

[ Last edited by jeff_in_sf at 2006-8-28 05:19 PM ]
window_squeegee.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 04:52:24 |Display all floors
职业乞丐 professional beggars?

趁红灯时跑到路中心拦车行乞 stop a car in the middle of the street during the red light and demand the driver to give money before the light turns green.

(i saw drivers turning on their windshield wipers to stop an approaching "squeegee man" and turn him away.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 10:02:47 |Display all floors
Funny, I didn't think turning on the windshield wipers occurred to most people!
stop a car in the middle of the street during the red light
Hmm, is that necessary in Shenzen? Here in the US the cars are usually already stopped at the red light. Traffic signals there are "suggestions"? (Well,  if someone approached me, I suppose I might step on the gas even if the llght were red!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 10:32:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-8-29 01:53
Usually, I wait for Alice's translation and then revise ("piggyback" on) hers but I'll go first this time:

A survey by urban management authority shows that beggars in the ...

The correctios indeed make the sentences sound better.

[ Last edited by hly2006 at 2006-8-29 10:36 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.