Author: waikit

Why do urban chinese families need a car? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-14 04:24:04 |Display all floors

I'll Stick to the Bus:

Last October, we got a ride into downtown Shanghai in our friend's new car. It only had about 70 km on the odometer and was fresh from the factory. Our friend was very happy and quite proud of the car.

But my honest feeling was that if I had the money, I would spend it on something else rather than risking it on the streets and roads of Shanghai. I'm sure he must have been devastated when he got the first scratch or bump on the new paintwork.

In Shanghai traffic I feel safest in the biggest vehicle possible - a city bus!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 09:42:39 |Display all floors
No, they don't.  It's a status symbol.  But where else can they spend their newly earned rich?   

I wish China could have smaller cars like Europe than the big models of USA.  It's so congested in the center of Shanghai; the streets are soon to be the parking lots.  Mainly because of the pollution of exhausted gas on cars and trucks, it’s hardly able to see any blue skies in and around the city.  

A “greening movement” is urgently needed in China to encourage people to leave their cars at home!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 09:55:16 |Display all floors
You definitely want to drive a car when you are on the crowded bus, when you are in a hurry to get somewhere but cannot find a cab. But when you cannot find a parking place, you wish you don't have the car to bother you like this... Life is complicated, so do humans' minds... My family changed a new car these days, because my Dad thinks that he deserves a better one in his age. I agree with him. It doesn't mean that he wastes his money to show off, it's very natural for a person to get sth that he really deserves.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 10:15:11 |Display all floors
Well, I believe there are several reasons why nowadays Chinese urban folks want a car:
1. the sense of ownership or achievement... Although owning a car is not a big deal in China now, but deep in many people's heart, having a car make one feel much better at least they are not inferior to their neighbours or friends who have a car...
2. Cars do bring a great convenience sometimes, although in Beijing it's absolutely depressing driving a car when trapped into a traffic jam during rush hours...
3. Some people just love driving, they are driving fans. But this is just a relatively small amout of pros among car buyers.
4. The automobile market is booming in China during recent years... A surprising low price of low profile cars such as QQ,BenBen or other prototypes will allure some oscillating people to finally buy a car.

BTW. I don't like too manying cars... Air pollution, traffic jam, terrible traffic accident.. especially in Beijing...
Wish I could live in a world free of automobiles....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 10:25:39 |Display all floors
I refuse to get a car if not come equipped with a chauffer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 04:45:42 |Display all floors

Huge cities needs great public transport

I don't believe it's just vanity chinese wants to own cars,although we westerners want to believe so, so that we have something to laugh about when we see the hopelessly jammed traffic in Chinese cities. I think when Beijing (haven't been to other cities yet) get it's subway system done, many will change back to public transport again. Not many enough though, but that's a problem in other countries aswell.

One concern though, I think the subway trains in Beijing are too narrow. Each  wagon should have had more space, and they could probably come more frequently.

Buses should optimally have their own lanes and also be more frequent. That would make them a much faster and attractive alternative. Now they're jammed up with the rest of the traffic. Jammed up inside aswell. No wonder noone wants to take them if they have another choice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-22 10:31:27 |Display all floors
I spent 2 hours to my company by bus. But if I drive a car, it only takes 40 minutes. So, I will by a car if I have enough money.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.