Author: waikit

Why do urban chinese families need a car? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-29 03:35:55 |Display all floors
ok thanks for the answers so far, i guess that showing off 'status' is really important in the chinese culture. on the other hand, 'modesty' is a traditional Chinese virtue that does not appreciate flaunting, right? so do we have a contradiction here?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 09:16:53 |Display all floors
Modesty seems to be relegated to personal life nowadays, and even that is going by the wayside for some. I think the economic boom has led to flaunting of status.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 09:49:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by waikit at 2006-8-29 03:35
ok thanks for the answers so far, i guess that showing off 'status' is really important in the chinese culture. on the other hand, 'modesty' is a traditional Chinese virtue that does not appreciate ...

In my opinion , the convenience is the major cause to buy a sedan ,especially the economical car .

And luxury car maybe is a status symbol of the richer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 16:31:03 |Display all floors
We should learn to protect the environment and resource. we should not simulate outdate development of industry.
In fact, only the rich need car to show something in the mainland.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-29 16:51:43 |Display all floors
It's for practical use rather than vanity fair.

Beijing residents know clearly how terrible it is to ride the bus -- more crowded than you could have ever thought of.  And it is really inconvenient, because the bus usually could not get you the place you want, unless you have enough time and patience to do a lot of transfers.
Be Good, Do No Evil. May Buddha Preserve Us!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 01:24:19 |Display all floors
It depends on the city as to if the car is really needed or not. The small city that I live in you can cycle or go anywhere by bicycle or electric bicycle, so it is purely status. The blacker and with more crome the better, so you look like you are in the government or whatever.

I've heard many cities have banned motorcycles and scooters, I think this is just to try to keep out the poor from other provinces that would deliver things or be motorcycle taxi drivers away from the job market. Small 4 stroke motorcycles are an efficient form of transport for the masses, if you really need to go more than 5km.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 03:28:02 |Display all floors

for you definitely, "rich & famous"...

for me just to get me from point A to point B, eventhough i live in the heart of the city.  here is the break downs to own a car...insurance bills, car registration fee, inspection fee, maintenance fee, parking lot fee...the deepest fee is the maintenance expense of all.  just adding up all those expenses, i would able to have a wife & some er-nais on the side.  now you're wondering what sort of car do i drive...just the basic Break My Windows type (and take ev'rything inside the car)...bmw!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.