Views: 11333|Replies: 20

Why do urban chinese families need a car? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-26 03:51:19 |Display all floors
Why do urban chinese middle class families need a car?
Is it because of the suburban sprawl, for commuting to work? Or just to own a status symbol to flaunt their achieved success? Or is it really more convenient than public transport?

Just want to get some insights about the mobility needs of the urban families for my school project. Thanks for any help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-26 04:30:19 |Display all floors

You answered it

1. Status symbol.
2. Means they don't have to associate with ordinary working Chinese on the bus.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-28 03:56:26 |Display all floors
is it also a trend that more families are moving to the suburbs for finding an improved living quality because of the crowded and polluted centres) and therefore it is a reason to have a car to get into the town for work or shopping?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-28 04:06:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by waikit at 27-8-2006 20:56
is it also a trend that more families are moving to the suburbs for finding an improved living quality because of the crowded and polluted centres) and therefore it is a reason to have a car to get into the town for work or shopping?

I suppose there would be an increased utility factor - some people need cars. But I think the status symbol is the primary point. If you don't have a car then you might be regarded as too poor to afford one.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-28 08:31:02 |Display all floors

in my mind........

in my mind,it would be very convenient to go whereever we like if we have a car of our own....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-28 08:55:12 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-28 09:20:36 |Display all floors
Sedan is a convenient traffic tool , as chinese young said ,it really improve the life quality .

When jamming the public bus filled with sweat smells off duty ,especially in rainy day, i have the strong aspiration to buy a sedan .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.