Author: peiwoli

Do you believe religion? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-22 23:37:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peiwoli at 2006-8-22 16:04
My friend told me that he one day met a man on the bus who believes in God (may be Christian) trying
to persuade him into joining them becoming a Christian .
That stranger sitting beside him jus ...

I respect others' faith. However, I don't believe in bargaining with God(s) or asking God(s) for a favor. I further dislike treating God(s) as a shopkepper, I guess that's why I wouldn't never become a good business man.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 23:41:30 |Display all floors

Reply #6 huang262's post

Unfortunately i dont blame you , when you look at some organized religions you will see the destruction and death of many innocent people all in the name of god . Islam and christianity (the two largest religions) both have people guilty of this, i call them religious fundamentalists
that are stubborn and close minded about their beliefs and twist their beliefs into political causes turning many off to religion in any organized way . I am christian but i respect Islams core belief in a solo god  just like many Muslims respect christianity . At one time Muslims and Christians lived side by side in peace even in Palestinian territory . I consider osama bin laden and George bush religious fundamentalists although bush will deny this even though he once slipped and said that the war against terrorism is a "crusade" he has since changed his language but the fact remains . Religious fundamentalists on both sides see things in black and white with a dangerous lack of flexibility
y , one side is evil and the other is not and vice versa. The person who believes in god but not organized religion has good reason to think that way and I'm sure an all knowing god excepts them . Man has no one to blame but man for the rejection of organized religion , however the silent majority of people who belong to these two religions reject the killing of innocent people and reject people using religion for political purposes and endless wars . Unfortunately the religious fundamentalists will continue to stir the pot among as many people that will listen to them (which is plenty) and continue the madness.

[ Last edited by frothow at 2006-8-23 04:46 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 23:42:26 |Display all floors

The wager

Originally posted by frothow at 2006-8-22 17:09
I read on a phone booth once that said "if there isn't a god you have nothing to loose by praying but if there is a god you have much to loose by not praying ...

That's famous, it's called "Pascal's Wager"

Pascal must live near you
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-23 00:16:43 |Display all floors

Reply #7 greendragon's post

Atheism is a form of religion too , you must have "faith" that god does not exist . Just as their is no proof that their is a god their is no proof that their isnt a god as well .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-23 09:22:53 |Display all floors
there are only a few churches in nanjing,and most religious people are elder.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-23 10:21:29 |Display all floors
I have no time to believe religion

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-23 10:23:45 |Display all floors

Only the Weak of Mind

Only those who cannot trust themselves to make decisions believe in God.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.