Views: 5410|Replies: 8

Online video spoof to face "Fire" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-17 08:57:48 |Display all floors
New regulation to monitor online video spoof craze
(China Daily) 2006-08-17

New regulations are in the pipeline to regulate video content on the Internet in the wake of a surge in short satirical films online, according to the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television.

Video spoofs have become so popular that netizens have even coined a slang term, "egao," to describe the act of using real film clips to create mocking send-ups.

From late August or September, only authorized websites such as sina.com, sohu.com and netease.com, will be allowed to show short films under the new regulations, Xinhua News Agency reported, citing an announcement by the administration.

A recent example of the trend, it said, was a 10-minute satire of a 1974 film called "Sparkling Red Star" which was remade with original clips to tell the story of an aspiring pop star competing in a television singing contest. The original film chronicles the struggles of a brave child soldier, Pan Dongzi, in revolutionary-era China.

The parody also turns the evil landowner who brutally exploited tenants into a silly judge taking bribes, and changes Pan's father from a Red Army soldier into a Beijing real estate tycoon.

The video attracted millions of hits.

Xinhua said the "Sparkling Red Star" satire was widely criticized, with some commentators saying that such a distortion of the country's revolutionary history was "immoral and unacceptable."

Among other recent spoofs was a 20-minute short film titled "The Bloody Case of the Steamed Bun," using clips from director Chen Kaige's elaborate costume drama "The Promise."

Prankster Hu Ge unexpectedly reaped fame after posting his parody of "The Promise" online earlier this year. Chen threatened to sue.

Hu was quoted by the Beijing News as saying on Tuesday that "the new rule has nothing to do with me. I will not broadcast my films on the Internet. Instead, I will send them peer-to-peer or through MSN."

Internet reactions were mixed: a netizen called Geshoumojie wrote on his blog that such a rule is unnecessary.

"If this regulation is released, where should netizens share their creations? Will the public still have the right to self-entertainment?" he said.

But the new rule also had some supporters. "Some producers of these clips may think it is great fun but they do not realize the clips damage the core values of our society," said Guo Songmin in an article published by China Youth Daily.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 09:46:02 |Display all floors

Reply #1 chinadaily's post

They won't play cricket?
P8152519.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 10:56:40 |Display all floors
Good! I cannot find any humour from such way. Such vedio is polluting the internet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-18 00:47:44 |Display all floors

Kill-joys

Geez, these rules are really sad. I think one great thing is being able to laugh and poke fun at things. Provided it's not racist or something, where's the harm? If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I also think it's rather hypocritical to complain about Chinese things being made fun of, when Chinese themselves enjoy making fun of foreign countries, individuals, etc. Are they going to crack down on such "insulting" videos as well? Somehow I doubt it....

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-8-17 05:49 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-18 02:16:06 |Display all floors

This move will backfire if the CCP doesn't back off....

Prior to reading about this obvious government infringement on freedom of expression in China, I (and I am sure many Chinese) had never heard of this "Egao".  Now I can promise you these things will become even more widely known and distributed than before.  

If the Chinese government continues this anti-political artist campaign, eventually they will end up catching a citizen and having a trial.  Then I believe the people of China will erupt in anger in the streets.  These corrupt politicians are trying to suppress video's about their corruption will be the thinking of the common man.....

My prediction is that the CCP will quietly drop this matter before it blows up in their face....

Ironically, even posts related to this subject are now being suppressed on this website....I am surprised this post is still standing...

[ Last edited by mark069 at 2006-8-17 12:40 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-18 21:14:19 |Display all floors
the report says spoof are to be regulated .
i don't think this is so bad
most everything here on earth are regulated
even how to cross the street.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-19 02:55:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by reyquer at 2006-8-18 05:14
the report says spoof are to be regulated .
i don't think this is so bad
most everything here on earth are regulated
even how to cross the street.

Free speech should not be "regulated".  Crossing a street is regulated because without regulations people get run over by cars and killed.    The only reason they want to regulate free speech is because the corrupt CCP politicians don't want to be exposed......   Regulations or laws should BENEFIT society as a whole - these regulations will only benefit the politicians and could even harm politicians since free speech in the press is a good mechanism to oust corrupt politicians.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.