Author: mencius

Should Chinese cartoons be protected against foreign competition? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-17 11:04:29 |Display all floors
Chinese cartoon studios need competition, but they are too weak to compete with foreigners. Besides tech and skill lackness, they can't get what the market wants. Most Chinese cartoons can't survive the market.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 11:40:45 |Display all floors

I love Tom n Jerry and Donald Duck and Doraemon

even though they are normally seen as kids' cartoon. Adult cartoon like spiderman is cool.

I can't think of one Chinese cartoon character. Maybe the monkey god thing, but it didn't start of as a cartoon character so I am not sure if that counts.

Perhaps China should first promote its cartoons before talking about protecting it? Meanwhile I hope protection does not mean banning foreign cartoon series on TV.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 19:56:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 17-8-2006 02:35
I don't think anyone ever said The Simpsons was a show for little kids. Come on, you can do better than that (or can you?).

Yeah, somehow I doubt the Simpsons is allowed on at 5pm. We want to know the "sexually explicit", etc cartoons that were put on during prime-time for children before the new regulations.

Originally posted by catbird at 17-8-2006 04:04
Chinese cartoon studios need competition, but they are too weak to compete with foreigners. Besides tech and skill lackness, they can't get what the market wants.

But they're not going to do any better if there isn't competition. To get better, you need to let the market force uncompetitive companies to fold. That way the ones that survive have less domestic competition and can act as a magnet for good talent. Protectionism will just make them complacent and damage the industry in the long-run, by consumers (children) simply refusing to watch domestic cartoons.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-17 20:03:57 |Display all floors
The government should think why his citizens prefer foreign cartoons,but not prohibit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-20 10:04:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by izzyfish at 2006-8-15 19:49
I personally think that this move will leave more space for China to shape its animation industry.It not only give opportunity to the local talents and also help the industry to build up a bit befo ...

No content or meaningless those cartoons are, Japanese/US young people educated/affected by those cartoons are still growing to be the best work force in the world. ...

what else do you want?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-20 10:11:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by catbird at 2006-8-17 11:04
Chinese cartoon studios need competition, but they are too weak to compete with foreigners. Besides tech and skill lackness, they can't get what the market wants. Most Chinese cartoons can't surviv ...

When people say Chinese industry is weak. I feel it is saying the Chinese people in those industry are weak. I take this as a strong insult that I cannot take it.

Chinese people, those really talented, smart, energetic work force are never afraid of competition, because they are STRONG. Chinese are one of the most industrial, talented people currently on this planet. Afraid of competition? I think the foreign counter part should be afraid in the near future.

The real problem, is not whether protectionism should be set. The real problem is the cartoon industry is not producing the right stuff for its audience. People in China are much more sophiscated and more selective than what the industry can currently produce. Remeber, the young Chinese, acting as the changing force in China, is not here to be educated but to educate the general public, including the cartoon industry.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-20 10:42:12 |Display all floors
I voted no, but with some reservations.

The reasonI'm opposed to it is because it could harm Chinese animation in the long term. After all, if China should do this now, other nations will remember should China's animation improve in future, and they will then surely reciprocate. Should China protest, they'll simply point to China's own palicies, making it look like the pot calling the kettle black.

I think a better solution would be for China to improve the quality of education in the field of animation. That way, the resultant increase in the quality of Chinse animaioin will eliminate the need for controls in the first place (after all, if controls are needed, what does that say of the current quality of Chinese animation?). In addition, such an increase in the quality of Chinese animation could lead to the future development of a new cultural export, which could mean big money for China later on.

Should China choose to go the way of protectionism instead, then there will be no need to improve the quality of education in the field, resulting in a contirued poor quality, thus blocking any potential future exports, not to mention counter-restrictions from other countries as retaliation against the Chinese policy.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.