Author: a__lucky_boy

How do Chinese study English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-9 19:33:50 |Display all floors
some language training program organizors promise that, with their help,  u are able to master a foreign language in three months...do u believe that?... daydream is what i can say...heheh!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-10 02:56:49 |Display all floors

English-speaking natives

To add sugar to candy123's posting, I agree if the foreign English teachers are good, they would certainly be teaching in their own countries. Nothing is better than home. Pay-wise is also much higher.

If native speakers have been doing a great job, why are our English still that poor? Did they actually teach us the right way or impart what they should of the language?

To me, learning English from a native speaker is wonderful, provide you know what he/she is saying & teaching you. Tell me, what do you learn when you can't catch what were said & taught. Think about latter & how it is related to your present situation. If the foundation of your building is not firm, do you think it can still be kept building?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-11 18:51:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-8-9 03:41

...good pronunciation, use of contractions...

Use of contractions? This also matters? Would you be kind to explain?:)

...sometimes Chinese people choose "big words" when smaller ones are more natural...

Then my classmates and I are in a different situation. Our teacher of writing is always complaining that we tend to choose "small words" when bigger ones are more natural Of course it all dues to our poor vocabulary
宠辱不惊,闲看庭前,花开花落;
去留无意,漫随天外,云卷云舒。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-11 18:57:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ehoeho at 2006-8-10 02:56

...if the foreign English teachers are good, they would certainly be teaching in their own countries...

Of course. But it's a problem beyond us. Let those in the MOE take the trouble
I think we could talk more with our foreign teachers, not just in class. We could find time after class to have conversation with them or even have go-outings with them when we all have time. That way we could learn more and that kind of daily knowledge is more important.

宠辱不惊,闲看庭前,花开花落;
去留无意,漫随天外,云卷云舒。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-12 00:47:39 |Display all floors
i have been studying chinese for almost three years now. i can read more than i can speak cause there are a lot of chinese words that sound the same. my tones get confused. reading is more precise because there is less mistake in understanding what is needed to be said. but forming correct sentences in chinese is another problem cause its so different from english. when i read a grammatically correct sentence and another sentence which isn't grammatically correct i can translate both sentences to english the same way.

english is so natural for me having learned english since i was small and besides the Philippines is an english speaking country. but when i was chatting with a friend in beijing i realized that english is also very hard to learn since the words are not usually spelled the way its supposed to be pronounced. take the word "one" which is really supposed to be pronounced as wan, people who are used to reading and speaking in english just take it for granted cause we just accepted it to be just that. but for people who are trying to learn english it can be very difficult.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-12 01:15:39 |Display all floors

to chris-k

Contractions are a very normal part of English if you're a native speaker. The only situation in which you are explicitly expected to not use them is in formal writing. Spoken English is full of contractions; most people only speak the two words if they want to emphasize what they're saying. For example, "I can not believe you snuck out of the house last night!! You are grounded for a month!" Normal conversation, though, is contraction central.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-12 03:19:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chris-k at 2006-8-11 18:51

Use of contractions? This also matters? Would you be kind to explain?:)

Yes, when speaking, we use contractions all the time, and it comes very naturally, so we can tell someone's native language is not english if they are not using them.

Here's an example:
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"I do not know what you are talking about."

You would NEVER hear someone say the second one in the US! Maybe you would if they were really angry and saying every word for emphasis.

Say "you are" faster & faster. It turns into "you're".
It's like saying 这儿- you don't say "zhe-er", they flow together and sound like "zher".

If I said "zhe er" you'd know I wasn't comfortable with Chinese!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.