Author: johnyou

an english native spearker, are u? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-31 12:23:11 |Display all floors

Who's who?

It's rather easy to identify / indicate who is a native speaker on this forum. For starters, native speakers avoid  or take no mind of the 'press to impress' way of writing. Also, sometimes you can tell if someone is a native speaker by the amount of net-lingo they display which fits ideally in the sentences. Furthermore, at times native speakers posts contain a moderate amount of sarcasm (like mine). Finally, the greatest indication is native speakers try to make their sentences as simple to read as possible whereas non-native speakers seem to do exactly the opposite. Remember, the main objective is to be able to convey your message clearly and not cluster it with impossible to conclude vocab trains.

It doesn't make you look smart per se but rather desperate for some sort of 'approval' that doesn't exist in a casual BBS community.

[ Last edited by eyeofstorm at 2006-7-31 12:28 PM ]
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 12:27:32 |Display all floors

While I am...

I am not the best.  My American English is acceptable.  Keep that in mind, native speaker does not equate with speaking or writing properly.  I have spoken American "network" English for almost 55 years.  I am a mature person.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 12:28:58 |Display all floors
I am a mature person.

I am sure you are junior
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 12:34:45 |Display all floors

reply to #10

Thanks, I wish I was.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 16:54:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-7-31 11:51
What do you mean friends? Why can't they just ask for themselves?

I also think people may not respond much if they think are going to be "targeted" for English practice.

they don't need to practise 'english' here as the partners they work with speak english that, u know, is

their working language... but sometimes they wanna know more about culture behind the language...

and they dont wanna be misled... so finding some native speakers to exchange is probably one of the

effective and feasible ways to achieve that purpose...:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 17:04:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by johnyou at 2006-7-31 09:46
'who are english native speakers here on this forum?'some friends keep asking me... but it's hard to tell exactly though we can come up with a rough idea of his or her mother tongue by viewing the  ...

I CAN SAY SOME OF MY TEACHERS ARE WHITES !!

FEW ARE SAINT IN MY EYES!!!
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 17:18:33 |Display all floors
i agree!  it's rare to meet a saint in this world of mortals unless u are really blessed by God...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.