Author: a__lucky_boy

I am very confused about that why Taiwan do not want to return [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-28 04:25:21 |Display all floors

people like mengzhi is the reason

I can say that Taiwanese do wish to be reunited with motherland. The only big obstacle is the hand underneath the puppet Ah Bian called Uncle Sam. The Yanks do get $18 billion annually in arms sales. So you can see they are not likely to give up such a good client in a hurry. Cheers.  

The main reason that Taiwanese do not want to join China is because there are too many people like mengzhi in the mainland. There are two main characteristics that mengzhi has shown that is typical of a CCPolitical hothead:
1. The kind of information he receives are filtered/censored - as evidenced by the "18 billion annually in arms sales to uncle sam" - this arms sale has never happened and is unlikely to happen at this kind of price.
2. People like mengzhi are unable to tolerate dissenting opinions because they are used to following the party.

I believe clause 2 is a direct consequence of clause 1.

a_lucky_boy, let me tell you something about Taiwanese people. Taiwanese people have different opinions on everything and some of them really make sure that their voice is heard by others, that's why you see all these protests on the streets of Taipei - it's a way for them express themselves as well as a form of entertainment. For Taiwan, political discussion over the China issue has become a tea-time tradition; the only difference with such discussions across the straight is that you actually hear opposing views. Some are pro-unification, some are pro-independence, while others are pro-status quo or just simply don't care. Now, to say that those who are pro-independence deserve to die, like many of you have said, is not fair because like everyone else, they are entitled to their opinion. In Taiwan, the majority rules; since these pro-independence people only constitute a small minority, then why worry? why become so paranoid that 800+ missles have to deployed against Taiwan?

So let me tell you why those 800+ missiles are needed. They are needed because following Soviet Union's breakup, the CCP learned that FEAR is the only way to hold the country together in a communist regime. So they must subject Taiwan to some kind of fear, and that's the fear of destruction. However, many in Taiwan can't seem to appreciate the kind of calamity associated with this fear because they have never lived under a communist regime, that's why it hasn't been working for the mainland. The new strategy now is economic integration; this is going to be a long process not because China hasn't caught up to Taiwan, but because for the majority of non-management level workers, the purchasing power and the quality of life in China is simply no comparison to that of Taiwan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-28 05:18:27 |Display all floors

See what I mean ?

dear Lucky boy,

You can see what I mean now can't you ? The same tired rhetoric and mangled messages about how " democratic " and wonderful Taiwan is under the tutelage and control of Washington. Re-Unification with the Mainland has the incredible generosity of a " 1C2S " option for 50 years. This has always escaped the Taidus message because it is so inconvenient. In other words, these warm and cuddly things the Taidus ostensibly cherish so much will be there for 50 years at least and then be looked at again. Taiwan would retain its economic system and even its arm forces except it will be renamed "internal security forces ". This is an universal basis of a sovereign state: to have central control of foreign policy power and defence.

So we see this merry dance by these dressed up puppets chasing their own tails in vain. Good theatre lucky boy. You are lucky to see this for free.

BTW  twchinese , I probably have more information from more sources and in more languages than you will ever know. Stop being condescending ; it may suit you but not me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-28 06:40:06 |Display all floors

meng

Do you not have those relevant polls to back up your earlier point? Sorry if that request was "incovenient" for you, given they don't exist. :)
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-28 07:08:52 |Display all floors

for canton boy

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-28 10:03:09 |Display all floors

Last straw grasping.

Originally posted by mencius at 2006-7-28 06:40
Do you not have those relevant polls to back up your earlier point? Sorry if that request was "incovenient" for you, given they don't exist. :)

The answer mencius is I don't. Polls ? Are you this desperate that you are grasping for some two bit poll result to support whatever you wish to support ? For a man who dismissed the encyclopaedia Britannica as " unreliable " you should stay well clear of straw poll results. You can conduct one yourself today and tell me by tomorrow that 100% of Taiwanese want to migrate to the UK !

The relevant figures are that in the two general elections in which Ah Bian " won " he garnered 30 plus % the first time and by less than 1% margin by holding up 3% votes, courtesy of his impressive " assassination " drama sensation. You can tell me this actually. If you look at the present parliament ( yuan) numbers, there are more opposition MPs than government members ! Ever seen a more Mickey Mouse parliament in a " democracy " than that ??  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-28 12:07:40 |Display all floors

Reply #12 mengzhi's post

Spin talk and desperate at that ! do yourself a favor and stay out of the Taiwan question . You are clearly defenceless .

Use magic tools Report

arthur has been deleted
Post time 2006-7-28 14:22:22 |Display all floors

replying #13 frothow

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.