Author: fangxuan

Do you think Fu Wa dolls are more expensive than they need to be? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-30 11:55:22 |Display all floors
The following descriptions of each Fuwa is from:
http://www.rmhb.com.cn/chpic/htd ... lish/200601/9-1.htm

The Chinese "Fuwa" consists of five cute and seemingly mutually friendly dolls, each with pleasant, easily pronounced and catchy names. Putting their names together one can read out the sincere invitation of Beijing to the rest of the world: "Bei Jing Huan Ying Ni"-"Welcome to Beijing."

Among them, Beibei conveys the meaning of prosperity. In traditional Chinese cultural and art forms, the patterns of fish and water symbolize prosperity and harvest. Fish also symbolize good fortune, riches and abundance. On the forehead displaying the fish patterns of China's Neolithic Age, Beibei has a gentle and pure image, is good at water sports and represents the blue ring of the Olympic emblem.

Jingjing is a charmingly naive panda, symbolizing the harmonious co-existence of man and nature. Decorated on the forehead with a lotus flower-petal pattern from Song Dynasty porcelain, Jingjing appears simple, honest, optimistic, and full of strength; representing the black ring of the Olympic emblem.

Huanhuan, who symbolizes the Olympic Flame and the passion for sport, conveys the Olympic spirit of "Higher, Faster and Stronger." On the forehead displaying a flame pattern taken from the famous Dunhuang murals in Dunhuang city, Gansu Province, the outgoing and enthusiastic Huanhuan excels at ball games, and represents the red ring of the Olympic emblem.

Yingying is an agile and fast-running Tibetan antelope. The Tibetan antelope, unique to the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, is one of the first groups of animals to have been granted protection status in China. Therefore, Yingying embodies the wishes for a "green" or environmentally-friendly Olympics. The headgear Yingying wears is an integration of the decorative style of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and that of western Xinjiang. The quick-witted Yingying excels in track and field events, and corresponds to the yellow ring of the Olympic emblem.

Nini is a swallow from the sky, and her image was taken from the traditional kites in Beijing. The innocent and joyful Nini is good at gymnastics, and she represents the green Olympic ring.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-30 12:34:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 7-30-2006 11:48

I think they're only sold in Beijing right now.....  

cool....to my surprise, it looks like i'm going to beijing this afternoon if i can  catch a train.  maybe i'll see some then, because i haven't see any in my city.

I was also surprised to read about how much effort and how many ideas went into making them. They not only symbolize the elements & different animals of China, but their designs are taken from traditional Chinese art. They each have several meanings, THEN presumably they were made "cute" so all the little kiddies would beg mommy for them.

ahhh, i didn't even think about it.  actually, they look better in real than the painted pic someone posted.  i think i like the panda...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-30 12:48:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mikeghet at 2006-7-30 12:34

i think i like the panda...

I like the fire one, Huanhuan. "My Huanhuan can defeat your Jingjing!!!" (smashing them together, beating up your wimpy panda)

JUST KIDDING EVERYBODY! I love pandas, ok? And I know they're tough and can eat me if they want. Respect to the pandas, yo. Peace out.

(you know it's late when I'm silly)

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-7-30 12:49 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-31 14:29:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mikeghet at 2006-7-29 13:19

GOOD old malaysian.  now put your OOMPH back on your STYLE yourself again.  

CHEATING ARGENTINIAN AS AMERI_CANES!!!   
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-2 22:28:16 |Display all floors

I love them

Maybe i am a little bit stupid,i know it is expensive,but to support Beijng's olympic games,i used to buy few dolls,i brougt a set of Fuwa just the day after they came out of the market,a long line to buy them!!

I hope it can be cheaper,the cheap one is the fake one,i also have some find along the street:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-3 11:54:44 |Display all floors
For decoration, I won't choose such an ugly doll.
To suppor Beijing Olympic, that's too much for me to afford.

RMB10 for one, then I will think about it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-3 11:57:54 |Display all floors
Fu Wa is for everybody who support Beijing Olympic, not for the gov making money.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.