Author: freakyqi

FREAKYQI is coming to China!! :D [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-20 05:47:13 |Display all floors
Thanks everyone so far! Happy happy me... I really have a lot of STUFF I have to get rid of. I have to empty my whole apartment! That is the biggest thing I'm dreading... (and telling Dad I got the job)

Originally posted by eyeofstorm at 2006-7-20 03:14
Prepare to be nostalgic after the 'honeymoon period' in China is over. This is just a pre-warning so you know what to expect instead of having it hit you on an element of surprise.

Yeah ... I've read all about it, including the "4 stages of being an expat" - the first part is fun & exciting & new, then you get depressed or lonely or frustrated or something bad... then there's "acclimation", and a "returning to your home country" stage. Supposedly many people go home during stage 2, though some barely expericnce that, or just experience it in bits & pieces as they're going through stage 3 at the same time and it's not bad.... whatever... I'm more worried about my son than me. I REALLY don't want him to get depressed or so homesick that he wants to leave. I'll be making enough money to do fun things with him & let him choose where to eat sometimes, let him buy some stuff, etc.

Personally for ME, I'm not worried. I know I shouldn't get big headed about it, but I'm flexible & adaptable to begin with, I've wanted it for YEARS and years, planned it carefully, etc. I WANT to know what it's like to do things as another culture does, I WANT to live differently. I think it will be very freeing to have to let go of the way I'm used to seeing things and go with the flow. I think it will be good for my son too, to live in another culture before he's even an adult, I'm sure it will have an impact on the man he becomes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-20 05:56:13 |Display all floors
Welcome!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-20 06:00:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by dryrain at 2006-7-20 00:28
Congrats :) Looks like we will both be moving to china soon...it will not know what hit it lol   Hows your mandarin? Thats one thing that worries me when I arrive in china..well there are other thi ...

"Beijing won't know what hit it"... haha... I think it will be more like: Freaky & dryrain get swallowed alive... waving from across the city for help....[size=-2]help....[size=-3]help....

When are you going? My mandarin is only enough to barely survive in public - buying things, etc. I can talk about who is in my family & what their jobs are, mundane things, but if anyone talks back to me I will look dumbfounded unless they talk to me like I'm a 3yr old.

What else worries you? The person who hired me was very nice, I think she'll help me with everything - definitely with an apartment, but it seems also with food shopping, getting to know where things are, etc. I've gotten familiar with the layout of Beijing from finding every job I applied for on a map written in Chinese (that was a little homework I gave myself along the way, very helpful) ... I will be most uncomfortable if I take any buses or subways, reading the schedules and getting off at the right time. I suppose if I ever get lost, the worst that can happen is I get a cab & have him take me back to somewhere familiar, or home, and be prepared to be ripped off by him if he senses I am lost and won't notice he is going in time-wasting circles. LOL..

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-7-20 06:05 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-20 08:00:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-7-19 22:07
If you don't know me you can ignore this!

I remember last year saying "I am thinking about moving to China in about a year..." And one big reason I stayed at these bbs is because I  ...

Freaky, I am glad to hear that. You have done lots of homework, you deserve it.

Good luck on you new adventure in China!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-20 08:22:12 |Display all floors
oh...welcome to china...i will visit china this xmas..ahahha...
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-20 08:52:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-7-20 06:00

"Beijing won't know what hit it"... haha... I think it will be more like: Freaky & dryrain get swallowed alive... waving from across the city for help....[size=-2]help....[ ...

I am very happy for you.

If you can manage New York, you can manage Beijing. People will help you out there. Good luck and have fun!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-20 09:48:12 |Display all floors
Freaky will have a Love-Hate relationship with China.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.