Author: cathay

are slightly retrousse nose & a little sunken eyes the most beautiful? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-21 10:39:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2006-7-21 02:11

Some people's faces are hard for my brain to register,

I am laughing around my chair.
C contends solitude to cause madness, while S maintains meditation for solace.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-21 23:43:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cathay at 2006-7-21 10:39

I am laughing around my chair.

Let me tell you a little story.

You know, the old saying, that   "all Chinese look alike" carries a bit of racial flavour. It was a favorite white joke many decades ago.

Luckily, I have not heard of the expression for a very long time.

In the last couple of years, I have become pretty naughty. I started to tease my white friends and strangers (service people) about not reconizing their faces. I would say to them, "hey, don't expect me to know your face, all white faces look the same! Hahahaha". They just laugh with me. Oh well, What a joy living in this current era. No more " Dog and Chinaman not allowed" BS.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-22 20:09:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2006-7-21 02:11

I always return a smile when people greet me regardless I know the face or not.

god! you're the type that has caused the most trouble to me
Everytime I go back to my hometown, I'll meet too many SMILES while walking in the community. I guess that's because my mum grew up there and I have a face quite the same as hers. so when those "smiles" see me, they notice that familiar face and smile at me. God, I totally have no idea who they are and don't know whether I should smile back
宠辱不惊,闲看庭前,花开花落;
去留无意,漫随天外,云卷云舒。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-23 04:12:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chris-k at 2006-7-22 20:09

god! you're the type that has caused the most trouble to me
Everytime I go back to my hometown, I'll meet too many SMILES while walking in the community. I guess that's because my mum grew up  ...

You have inherited your mother's precious gifts! People smiled at you for a reason. My guess is that  people remember your mother's good nature and kindness, so they smile at you. The best policy is to follow my footsteps, that is, smile or wave back regardless you know the face or not. I usually wave back (just in case they don't see my smile from a distance).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-24 00:38:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by feijoa at 2006-7-23 21:26

Love is blind, here is a scientific prove for you.
source: Science proves that love is blind  http://eng.100md.com/html/En/20040627/00275.htm
Don't let your silly bird's instinction ...

It would be even more informative to read the original research paper and draw your own conclusion. Too bad your source did not mention the title of the original study. It would save me lots of time hunting it down. When come to scientific paper, I have a habit of reading the original article.

However, in my mind, base on my own life experience, I also believe that love is blind to certain extend. But that is only my personal opinion.

Excerpt from the article you provided "They have found that feelings of love lead to a suppression of activity in the areas of the brain controlling critical thought." is interesting.

In my opinion, they are saying that love makes people lost the ability to think critically; therefore their judgments are impaired. When people's judgments are impaired, what do they do? Probably they will do something not too smart. That's what the old saying "love is blind" alludes to. People become bias and one-sided. Rational thinking gives way to emotions and feelings. People get rather emotional. They lost their cool heads.

Good work digging up this interesting second-hand scientific article.

I follow your footsteps and dug up a third-hand (not even a second-hand) article as follows:

Love really is blind

Articles / Romance and Partnerships
Date: Jan 04, 2005 - 03:00 PM  
Neuroscience can at last explain why we can't see faults in our lovers or children. Raj Persaud reports. Can science help us to understand love? Many argue that a Shakespearean sonnet, Rachmaninov piano sonata or Jane Austen novel is much better at communicating insights into why we become irresistibly drawn to one person. But now neuroscience promises to offer revealing new insights that could solve some of the mysteries at the heart of love. A study of whether there are different forms of love has been launched by Dr Andreas Bartels and Professor Semir Zeki from the Wellcome department of neuroimaging at University College London. They have attempted to unravel for the first time whether the love between a parent and a child is the same as the emotion shared by lovers. Scientists have a cold-eyed view of the purpose of love.

Can anyone dig up the original study for me? My computer is acting up a bit strange this morning. I can't do my hunting as swiftly as before. I am not a happy camper right now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-24 10:58:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2006-7-23 04:12

My guess is that  people remember your mother's good nature and kindness, so they smile at you.  ...

guess my mum'll have a sleepless night tonight "Sleepless in China"
...I usually wave back (just in case they don't see my smile from a distance...

maybe sometimes they don't smile back not because "they don't see your smile from a distance" but because they've no idea who you are--what sometimes happens while I'm in the street
宠辱不惊,闲看庭前,花开花落;
去留无意,漫随天外,云卷云舒。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-24 11:01:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2006-7-24 00:38

Can anyone dig up the original study for me? ...

here's some information:
http://bigadesign.com/wcms/index.php?id=34,88,0,0,1,0
宠辱不惊,闲看庭前,花开花落;
去留无意,漫随天外,云卷云舒。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.