Author: elson_chen

The Dream of the Red Mansions [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-18 15:03:04 |Display all floors
Out of curiosity. i think some of you may read the Dream of the Red Mansion more carefully than me. Do you think Jia Bao Yu is a homosexual or bisexual.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-19 22:32:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by novablue at 2006-7-18 15:03
Out of curiosity. i think some of you may read the Dream of the Red Mansion more carefully than me. Do you think Jia Bao Yu is a homosexual or bisexual.

Bao-yu actually was depicted as a sentimentalist in the novel. And his given tendency of homoerotism maybe came from his clinging to nicety, which can be identified by the relative his own words portrayed in the novel--"women's flesh and blood are made of water, while mud compose men. So it is cleanly when I stay with women, which is different with the turbid feeling at the sight of men"--We conclude Bao-yu's ideology as adoring female. From his sentimental favoritism, it is reasonable for us to accept the mankind, who sentimentally attached by Bao-yu, was almost the womanlike characters.   

But it is far-fetched to identify Bao-yu's homoerotism only depending on his snarly with the womanlike mankind.  

Actually, toward the impression of homoerotism, it is hard to make a verdict under different custom, civilization and speciality. Some insider even defines homoerotism as "fleshly contact with partner along with obtaining sex climax". While there also exists some mild viewpoint that homoerotism is a buttress of sex leaning, sentimental reflection and community ascription. Meanwhile, the occasional homoerotism resulted by unusual condition and pecuniary deal should be excluded out of column of real homoerotism.  

So it is not proper to apply any specification of homoerotism to Bao-yu, and the unfounded presumption of Bao-yu's homoerotism likely just came from misunderstanding or overstating trouble.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-20 19:04:50 |Display all floors
post-46-1152859595.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-21 22:50:05 |Display all floors
You write so long. So he has a tendency of homosexual, and he didn't do any thing homosexual.

The main purpose i write here is put this thread up! Want to hear other people's comment, like the above Liangzai, although he/she and me have different views, he/she will not speak rude like some other peoples on this forum.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.