Author: threebowls

WARNING about PM's (private messages) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-13 23:26:10 |Display all floors
Yes I think she is too much on the strict side. Anyways she has done a very tiring and responsible job,Maybey should say?
Boating on the Houhai River...在后海泛舟...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-13 23:28:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by otis22 at 2006-7-13 09:21

so does this mean the moderators can't access peoples PM history?

I believe most moderators cannot read member's PM's while only the head admins might be able to read them. this is basically true on most online forums. on alot of forums, even the admins cant, unless they have the access to database. it's not like that they technically cant, but it's all about privacy.
- We don't dwell on the past, we remember it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-13 23:51:19 |Display all floors

haha

Originally posted by theconfused at 2006-7-13 23:28
it's not like that they technically cant, but it's all about privacy.

but can they resist the temptation? that's the question...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-13 23:58:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by otis22 at 2006-7-13 10:51

but can they resist the temptation? that's the question...

yea but i mean if the website designer doesnt build such a feature, they cant.
- We don't dwell on the past, we remember it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-14 00:34:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by threebowls at 2006-7-13 22:14

Who ever said that? It is only "not private" to the extent that people who receive them may pass them around to others, and to mods if they feel they are being harassed. If you are passing them around to show what other have written, then you too are ruining the privacy factor of them. Members have felt their PM's are not private because of you and xiao passing them around and quoting other members in them without those members knowing ...

I heard about that, passing other's people message, i couldn't beleived it
or asking for points or credits, i don't know what is the final intention,  well, i don't want to know now,
i don't like all this

threebowls, i know to be moderator is not an easy job, always there is a risk to gain or to get bad comments from your accurates posts
i agree with you and i thank you for the job are you doing now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-14 05:29:13 |Display all floors

Here is a suggestion ...

We should respect the mod: ALL of us.

We are lucky that we have a mod who plays fair. Go over to the News Talk section and see the support given to the extreme racists and anti-Westerners by the often silent mods. Threebowls actually bothers to read and understand before acting unlike the other mods who seem to have no problem with the lashings regularly given to the US and the UK and Westerners in general.

FLR is meant to be a fun section. Let us keep it that way. Threebowls has made this place much better than (for example) a year ago when it was a hot bed of abuse, racist and nonsense.

There are rules and rights here and the mod has to maintain a degree of control over what goes on.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-14 06:31:22 |Display all floors
Otis22, is that vein showing?!? It hasn't shown in a long time, but never fear, I only direct my anger at the proper targets, I dont' take it out on others.
:)
Thank you to those who are being supportive, it really means a lot to me and makes me feel better. I am human, and I appreciate the positive feedback.

As for PM's, theconfused has the right idea. No, I cannot simply read everyone's PM's, nor would I have the time or inclination even if I could. So far in this job the thought never even occured to me and I did not even notice I could not. But also, as theconfused said, somewhere there is always someone who can access those things when necessary on any site, not just this one. Somewhere behind every webpage some computer guy can access whatever his boss or the authorities tell him to. As I suggested earlier, in this case PM's were forwarded to me by confused, hurt, or angry members, some new ones we may never see again. I asked opinions of other moderators, who, to be honest were more strict about it than I was, and I now see they are right. I should not have tolerated xiao for as long as I did.

If anyone here ever feels abused or worried about something in PM's, you may forward them to me (or another mod if you really don't like me!) and we can work together to solve the problem.
Post unto others what you would have them post unto you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.