Author: jjudney

which language is the best? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-6-30 22:23:13 |Display all floors
English is the worst option right now; there's already a surplus of English speakers in the labour markets of many Chinese cities.

As for the other options, from what I've heard from people in the translation and interpretation business, there is a great demand for German, French, Russian  and Japanese as compared to English, yet even they aren't experiencing a shortage even comparable to the "small" ones (i.e those less studied in China). The UN has had a critical shortage of Arabic-Chinese speakers for a few years now. Many Chinese businesses really have a hard time finding Spanish interpreters and translators, and just a couple of years ago, Polish was going at FIVE TIMES!  the going rate for English. Kiswahili is one that China Radio Internaitonal looks out for too, along with many other languages.

I think as long as her language option isn't English, she's almost guaranteed a job in China right now if she learns that language well. If she learns a language otehr than English, German, French, Russian or Japanese, then the demand for her services will be even greater.

Arabic is grammatically quite complicated, however,whereas Spanish, while still no cake walk, is easier comparatively speaking. Swahili is supposedly comparatively easy likewise, but as for Polish and other languages, I'm not too sure.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-1 00:24:30 |Display all floors
which uni?
www.thefa.cn
where chinese footy fans have English football discussed

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-1 01:23:05 |Display all floors

english must the first choice

first, english is the most popular language, anywhere ,any company, more people know english, so you can communicate with them. you will not feel alone. but the others, few people speak, language is a tool to communicated with people, after compared you will make your decision.
second, there are more chance to get a job although there were so many english speaker, so many english school, but that so many school, do they realy get a english job? do they met their job? actural not all. so it is not how many person here, important is how many nice english speaker there are. if you choose the others, after 4 years, maybe you can get a job easily, maybe not, for the chance is less.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-1 01:31:47 |Display all floors

it sounds nice,

Originally posted by cryincold at 2006-6-30 00:07
Wowwwww.

u know ... so many  handsome boys in Korean Movies ....

i'm sure your sister would not dislike wathcing Korean Movies.

yes, this is a important thread, it is right. in the future, german must enlarge their invest in china, and german must be more important that time.
but you know that time, english will get more popular at that time, so , there are opportunitity  for english speaker.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-1 09:41:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gloryhunter at 2006-7-1 00:24
which uni?

I forget the name of the Uni, but if I remember correctly, it's the Beijing Broadcasting University, although it might have changed its name since.

A friend of mine at China Radio International actually handpicks students from that university every year for Esperanto-training. So those hand-picked students effectively not only have a job waiting for them long before they even graduate, but are even trained specifically for the job by a professor who will then be their employer! Sweet deal, don't you think?

Try to get that kind of deal with English!

As for other less spoken languages, I'm not sure of the details, but I do know that the Chinese market now has a desperate shortage for ALL foreign languages other than English, although the demand is a little less desperate for French, German, Japanese and Russian due to a large number os students choosing them as their second foreign language over other languages.

One possibility is to contact China Radio International, if you were interested in working there, and ask them what language they'd recommend. I'm sure they're well aware of what languages have the most critical shortages, along with where you can best study those languages.

Another place worth considering is the China Management Software Institute. It currently has an agreement with the Internacia Studumo pri Turismo kaj Kulturo, in Poland. Students study Esperanto at the Institute in Beijing for the first two years, after which they can go to Poland for the following two years. Education in Poland is of good repute, while still being relatively inexpensive compared to that of other nations. In Poland, the students can then study a host of subjects, including the Polish language I believe if I'm not mistaken, via Esperanto, up to a Master's Degree.

Anyway, this is a start, hope this helps.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-4 10:33:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gloryhunter at 2006-7-1 00:24
which uni?

she chose Sichuan Foreign Language Colleage

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-6 12:54:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2006-7-6 12:30
I am sorry but I consider this a daft question! There is no "best" language in the whole world, get it?

Your sister must develop a keen interest in the subject(s) she wants to study; if she isn't interested in Japanese she will not succeed at it, full stop! You can see where English learning by the totally disinterested masses leads to - there aren't two people out in every 100 in China that are genuinely interested in English and actually master it!

So, what might put a little zest in your sister's interest for any second or third language? My advice  - no doubt unbelievable to you but true for myself and many I know! - is not to regard a language as "useful" per se; you can use any language usefully. Does your sister, for example, wish to be able to follow movies or read novels in any of the four target languages? If yes, then it's pretty easy for her to choose the language! She might then develop a special interest in that language that eventually may lead to her going to live in a country where that language is the national tongue; or she could remain in China and help build a bridge from here to that linguistic community whose language she has acquired.
In the West, there are people that study Esperanto, T.ibetan, Kazakh, Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, Sanskrit, and the list goes on and on and on; why not in China?  

Good post, Seneca.

And so true. Unless you're interested in the language, you'll never master it well. The first thing is to identify with the language, not just see it as "useful". Besides, no language is useful unless it can be mastered. And to master it, one nedds to love it.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.