Views: 7733|Replies: 8

human traffic [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-6-6 12:18:54 |Display all floors
recently, i just watch a teleplay: human traffic and another on-the-spot record: real sex traffic.
it is too horrible. human traffic is the third make-money traffic following on the heels of weapon and drug.  those pretty and lovely girls who are sold to be prostitution. what a pity!
the more disappointed thing is that a human seller sentence five year probation and release immediately after sentence!
what opinion do you hold? do you have some suggestion to your government?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-6 12:58:20 |Display all floors
The fact that China still have rural areas with the mindset to purchase a wife. Unfortuantely its not the girls family that gets the money but rather the kidnappers. In most cases the countryside people do not know the truth about the middleman. Human trafficking is the sad fact of life, so as long as there are demands of these girls there will be a market formed to get these girls regardless the regulations of human rights. There is so much evil in this world...so much and we can only turn a blind eye to most of them sadly.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-7 04:01:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by alexangel at 2006-6-6 12:18

recently, i just watch a teleplay: human traffic and another on-the-spot record: real sex traffic.
it is too horrible. human traffic is the third make-money traffic following on the heels of weapon and drug.  those pretty and lovely girls who are sold to be prostitution. what a pity!
the more disappointed thing is that a human seller sentence five year probation and release immediately after sentence!
what opinion do you hold? do you have some suggestion to your government?

For China the only solution is further advancement of society, rooting out poverty, educatiing the people, weeding out bad traditional customs.

The punishment in China for trafficking is 10 years to life, or the death penalty (art. 240 in the criminal code). Whoever got five years must have been an ordinary pimp, not a trafficker.

Some 10,000 people, not only women, are trafficked in China every year.

Many wind up in Europe and the US, working as slaves for many years in the Chinese communities before becoming free. For some, it is a deliberate way to come overseas. I don't think it is a particularly good way, but for many poor villagers there is no other method. A Chinese couple was recently sentenced for trafficking in my own country, which has been a transit country.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-7 04:39:32 |Display all floors

Reply #3 liangzai's post

Liangzai, in some of the threads dealing with prostitution you have pointed out that it can never be eradicated, and that it is more productive to focus on harm reduction.

Aside from prosecuting the traffickers when caught, do you have any suggestions for reducing the harm done to their victims?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-7 04:52:01 |Display all floors
No, trafficking can't be solved by harm reduction methods, because trafficking is (mostly) nonconsentual. People are being forced, and that can never be tolerated.

The victims can be helped, of course; there can be a victim fund set up by the state (and/or others) to compensate some of the damage with money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-8 03:45:50 |Display all floors

Reply #5 liangzai's post

I agree that forcing people into prostitution can never be tolerated.  The reason I asked about harm reduction is that it seems pretty hard to know when someone is being forced.  How can people tell if trafficking is taking place?  Outside of cases of obviously underage girls I don't think most people could tell.  For example, there are a large number of "massage parlors" staffed by Asian (mostly Korean) girls in many US cities.  Some claim that the girls are victims of trafficking, while others claim that they are there voluntarily.  I have no idea and no good way to find out.  The authorities would have to penetrate the organizations behind the "parlors" and gain cooperation from the girls (very difficult to do) in order to make a case.

In addition, there is a whole spectrum of coercive factors causing some women to become or remain prostitutes.  Everyting from physical coercion, financial (debt) coercion, drug dependency, emotional dependency, etc.  I wouldn't lump all of those into the same category as trafficking, but I would still want to see the girls protected as much as possible from disease and danger.

I'm pretty ignorant here, and yield to your research and knowledge.  Good analysis elsewhere on the forum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-8 08:22:18 |Display all floors
Well, harm reduction for prostitutes in general will help them regardless if the prostitution is voluntary or forced. I don't know much about trafficking, but it is true that many prostitutes are coerced by financial means. They come from the countryside to the city, turn to prostitution. The pimps give them housing and money equivalent to a normal wage, and they become legal residents. But at the same time, they are monitored constantly (so as not to work overtime and cheat the pimp) and can't leave the business until they find another job, which they rarely do. But this would be true of any other business, so the problem lies in the laws regulating workers' rights in China.

Overseas, it is different. If they are legal residents, they can leave anytime, unless there is a threat to them. Then they should go to the police, of course, but they may not be aware of their rights. And sometimes, these people are abandoned by the authorities anyway, because of lack of funding, different priorities, whatever.

And some people do agree to become indentured servants (prostitution or otherwise) to pay off for the opportunity to come to a Western country. I am not sure that is coercion; it is more like a contract that would be illegal in the West.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.