Author: redspecial79

what do you think about live togheter without marriage? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-6-1 23:26:10 |Display all floors
LOL actually, put a little scare into him because by not getting married the legal way and still living together (if you deem it a commonlaw marriage) you can still take half of everything he owns if you split up. That's if you go to court and be mean and nasty though, :p

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-1 23:32:17 |Display all floors
i wont do tht to him..anyways..he knows laws more than i do...lol
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-2 00:13:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by phoenix2ligh at 2006-6-1 08:16
It's forbidden here? Wow, ok. In American if you live with someone you date for more then a year you are considered to be in a "common law marriage", same as being married at a church wit ...

Phoenix2ligh, actually that's not right.  The info below was taken from www.unmarried.org.  More info is available there if you need it.

"THE MYTH: There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.

STATES THAT RECOGNIZE COMMON LAW MARRIAGE:
Only a few states recognize common law marriages:

Alabama
Colorado
Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
Iowa
Kansas
Montana
New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
Oklahoma (possibly only if created before 11/1/98. Oklahoma's laws and court decisions may be in conflict about whether common law marriages formed in that state after 11/1/98 will be recognized.)
Pennsylvania (if created before 9/03)
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Washington, D.C."

I'd be interested in learning more about your life in Xian.  It seemed like a pretty interesting city.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-2 00:42:19 |Display all floors
That's not right though, I'm originally from North Carolina so I know it to be fact they do recognize it there. Also this is how my best friend is married there and also how I know about how you can still take half because she's now "divorced" lol.

They probally wouldn't recognize my marriage if it wasn't legal since we didn't live in the states of NC, but if you do live there of course they would. Alot of marriages in that particular state still take place inside of the church without any court people there or legal documents signed.

And the length is one year, after this you can change your name if you like to that of your partner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-2 00:46:27 |Display all floors
Its important to live together before marriage as you both will then know what you are letting yourselves in for.  Otherwsie you might have this rosy view of how marriage is the reality can be quite different.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-2 01:32:36 |Display all floors

Reply #11 phoenix2ligh's post

North Carolina may have recognized common law marriages at one time, but no longer does.  Several states that used to recognize them don't any more.  I don't know what the NC law marriage law used to be, but do know that it had some changes back in 1977.

Wikipedia has a lot of info for the US and other countries at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law_marriage

Of course, if a couple moved to North Carolina after having a common law marriage in a state such as Utah or South Carolina, North Carolina would then recognize their marriage too.

The following excerpt is from the site http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/north_carolina/  on their page of NC laws:

"Common Law Marriage: Common law marriage, which is recognized in some states, involves a couple living together and holding themselves out to everyone as man and wife. Even though there is no marriage ceremony or certificate, this marriage is considered valid in those states that recognize common law marriage. North Carolina is not one of those states, and no amount of living together in this state can result in a valid marriage, without a valid marriage ceremony."

Here is what the North Carolina Bar Association says on their site:  

"Common law marriage or marriage by consent is not
recognized in North Carolina. However, common law
marriage may be recognized by North Carolina if the
parties have engaged in behavior in another state which
would be recognized by that state as common law marriage.
Marriage between individuals of the same gender is
not recognized as valid in North Carolina, regardless of
where the marriage was obtained."

Sorry to go on so long about this, but I hate to see anyone burned because they didn't know the current law.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-2 02:30:13 |Display all floors
some ppl live wth eachother for soooooooooooo long and the moment they step into marriage, everything goes downhill from there... wierd!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.