Author: whirlingone

How much is your salary? Mine is RMB3000+subsidy(RMB500) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-31 02:36:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by czy3280 at 2006-5-30 22:12
i am a teacher . it is well-known that our occupation is noble but our salary much too low! it is only 1000 yuan

But you also have housing and meals paid, right? or rather, most Chinese will get an apartment from their parents.

Even so, I have often wondered how teachers can buy a new house for two million yuan. Suppose both in the family have a salary of 3,000 total. That's 36,000 a year. It would take 30 years to pay off, excluding interest, and also excluding all the stuff you need to buy. In reality, it would take 70 years to pay off.

1000 yuan a month is not enough even for my hamburgers! I couldn't live on such a small amount.

Let's see... once a month, at least, you need to tao yaobao and treat your friends to hot-pot. That's 3-400 right there. You can forget majiang immediately, because all your salary may go in a single evening.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 02:39:53 |Display all floors
Last job I had paid 30,000 a month. That would be a decent salary in China. Right now I only do small jobs. Last small job I had brought me 400 per hour. That would also do it in China.

I hear some laowai work for 10,000 in China, but I assume that is with housing paid.

Even if you can live very cheaply in China, laowais will still usually have heavy mortgages on Western loans, such as student loans. I have nearly 300,000 in such debt, and therefore couldn't make it on a typical Chinese salary.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 02:41:34 |Display all floors
They are called loans...the real-estate surge is putting Chinese people in debt. They aint no different than the American people afterall haha~
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 02:48:12 |Display all floors
The new graduates from Shanghai will only make 3000 rmb per month on average...I seriously dont know how they can survive in one of the most expensive metropolitan places in China. I make alot more than 30,000 monthly, in fact I make more at my age here than I would ever make back in the U.S. I must admit I do have some nice connections due to alumni and family connections here hehe. However nothing can replace hard work and the core integrity of hard work. I need to get my masters soon...work is becommign repetitive as much as I want it to be more diversified.

I am aiming to get relocated to Pudong district of Shanghai or Seoul into the other firm divisions next year. Since this commericial post is too close to H.K. and its trying to expand domestically and more aggressively in the near future.

[ Last edited by eyeofstorm at 2006-5-31 03:35 AM ]
((EyeOfStorm))

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 03:03:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by liangzai at 2006-5-31 02:39
I hear some laowai work for 10,000 in China, but I assume that is with housing paid.

Well, you're not talking about teachers then. You're throwing out some pretty big numbers there. A foreign teacher making 10,000 RMB would probably not include housing, unless you're talking about someone with a master's degree teaching in an international school or something.

I've been job hunting lately, and with a bachelor's and mixed teaching experience, I will be expecting to be offered free housing and 3000-6000 RMB. No meals, maybe small health insurance (some offer it for emergencies only, or offer a ceiling like 5000RMB)  And that's WAY more than local teachers get. They give us more because
1 - we have the asset of being native english speakers and
2 - our lifestyles are different.

I don't need a rich lifestyle by any means, but the things I am used to are more expensive in China.

CZY3280 - Is 1000yuan a comfortable amount for you, or do you struggle financally?

With 1000yuan I would not be able to buy certain foods I'm used to, I would not be able to do some visiting & touristy things, etc, and being a foreigner in Beijing, I can't imagine not being able to afford to go see the Great Wall, or a show, or visit historical places.
Don't forget, we foreigners don't pay local prices, either! Simply having a white face means we will get charged 10x as much as a local. So even my vegetables off the street will be more expensive!

China will be getting back the money they pay us, don't worry!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 03:13:27 |Display all floors
Actually freakyqi, if you make 6000 rmb a month you should be living comfortably considering you're not pursuing a lavish or swank lifestyle here. As for 1000 rmb to the admireable CZY3280 teacher...it just depends on where you inhabit. Also to note, if you would like to make more than 6000 monthly then I would suggest you looking around the international schools. The requirement may be a TEFL certificate or perhaps a teaching certificate but I know without a doubt that you would get paid a minimal of 10000 rmb/month with living accomodations. Any international school that is accreditated by CITA usually have higher expectation of their teachers experience but with that said the salary cap is also higher for them as well. My uncle runs one near Shenzhen and they pay the Western teachers salaries which measures equally with their Western wage standard.
((EyeOfStorm))

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 03:17:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-5-31 03:03

Well, you're not talking about teachers then. You're throwing out some pretty big numbers there. A foreign teacher making 10,000 RMB would probably not include housing, unless you're talking ab ...

Actually I have heard about Ukrainian teachers getting 10-12,000 a month in Shanghai. And Ukrainians aren't very good English speakers (wrong language family).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.