Author: ruotong

English learing should be compulsory in Chinese colleges and universities. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-6-6 17:44:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by caringhk at 2006-6-6 15:40
Other people are learning chinese so to be equal or better,

one must learn English!!!

I don't understand the logic here.

We could just as easily argue:

"Other people are learning Chinese so to be equal or better,

one must learn French!!!P"

Or whatever language, the logic is the same.  So why necessarily English?

If, for instance, an Italian decides to learn French (don't forget, in many nations students can choose their sedond language), and the chinese learns English, how will they communicate. Obviouysly it would be more logical for that Chinese to learn French or italian, not English, if he wishes to communicate with that Italian.

In fact the trend in Europe lately is to give the students more language options and try to move away from English. China needs to keep track of what's going on in other nations to, and not just complain that Japanese and Koreans don't study enough English. Who are the Chinese to tell the Koreans to study english more. How about the Chinese learning Korean?

Logic and diplomacy needs to be applied here.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-6 22:54:25 |Display all floors

Oh yeah, I voted "no"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-6 23:56:20 |Display all floors

tianyuanedu

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-7 06:17:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by canadian45 at 2006-6-6 23:56
I see you are still on your one-man campaign against English.  
GET A LIFE!!!!

Vas t'en!

Peut etre que tu pourrais essaye d'apprendre une langue seconde toi aussie, ou est-ce que tu attend a ce que toute la planete apprenne l'anglais juste pour toi, Canadien?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-7 06:26:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by canadian45 at 2006-6-6 23:56
I see you are still on your one-man campaign against English.  
GET A LIFE!!!!

So let me try to understand the logic of this:

If my being opposed to making a certaian foreign language compulsory makes me against that language, then I suppose that I'm opposed to all foreign languages according to your definition. According to that definition, yes I am opposed to all foreign languages.

But then again, according to the same definition, it would seem you're opposed to all foreign languages but English. So what makes English so special beyond the fact that it saves native speakers of English from headaches at international meetings. Are you really so special as to deserve this special treatment worldwide due to nothing more than birthright?

Yes, I am opposed to compulsory English as a matter of justice if nothing else.  Native speakers of English could make some effort to learn a second language too, no?

By the way, can you speak a second language fluently, or do you just expect the rest of the world to make the effort to learn your language?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-7 07:58:25 |Display all floors

tianyuanedu

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-7 15:25:30 |Display all floors
Canadian,

I think my argument was quite logical. I oppose English as a compulsory subject and you interpret that as opposition to English per se. So what else am I to logically conclude from this other than the fact that you support a special status for English? Unless of course you're suggesting that all languages be compulsory? And how exacly would one learn over 600 compulsory languages?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.