Author: ruotong

English learing should be compulsory in Chinese colleges and universities. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-30 16:42:07 |Display all floors

as I see it...

learning English is not a MUST, but it does help you a lot to get better job and higher salary, for most foreign-invested companies offer better condition for their employees.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 18:22:25 |Display all floors

i vote no

EFL learners can have a good command of english in their junir and senior schools. when they are in the uni, they can choose to go on or dump it as they like or as their major concerns. EFL lovers can learn english by themselves well if the interest lies inside.
let the real competent teachers go to elementary, junior and senior schools.
let the less competent teachers get laidoff or some other less demanding fields.
;lol
或者升的更高,或者彻底堕落;
或者成就自己,或者毁掉自己。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-31 18:32:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 3gkarma at 2006-5-31 18:22
i vote no

EFL learners can have a good command of english in their junir and senior schools. when they are in the uni, they can choose to go on or dump it as they like or as their major concerns. EFL lovers can learn english by themselves well if the interest lies inside.
let the real competent teachers go to elementary, junior and senior schools.
let the less competent teachers get laidoff or some other less demanding fields.
;lol  

I partially agree. Some students can learn English before the end of middle school, but not the vast majority. As for the rest, I also agree that by university age, there might be more important things for them to learn besides English. Make it an optional subject for the students who truly want to learn it.

One misconception, however; a good command of English doesn not necessarily make one a good teacher of the language. Let's face it, the best mathematician in the world might be the worst maths teacher too. Same applies to English. And teaching primary school students requires a set of skills different from those needed to teach middle school students. Same applies to middle school students as compared to adults. Generally speaking, the more mature the student, the easier it is to teach him.

So from that standpoint, just because many university professors who have mastered English should get laid off, it doesn't mean that they can easily replace the primary school teacher whose English might not be quite as good. The primary teacher, for instance, might still possess the English level required to teach primary English and n\know how to handle the psychological needs of primary children in the classroom. The university professor, on the other hand, even if he can dissect every aspect of every diealect of every form of the English language which hace existed in the last four centuries, might still find himself helpless when face to face with a classroom full of littel brats throwing paper airplanes around!

Don't get me wrong; I agree with the general thrust of what you say. I'm just clarifying that improving teacher quality won't be as easy as you make it out to be.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-5 16:25:39 |Display all floors

i agree

i don;t wanna say too much,but we all know the connection of the country is more and more, such as business,culture exchange,travel, if we don;t know english, how can we achieve the above commission?

i totally agree the topic, cause it is time for us to go outside china and modernize our country!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-6 15:40:57 |Display all floors

Reply #1 ruotong's post

Other people are learning chinese so to be equal or better,

one must learn English!!!
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-6 15:44:23 |Display all floors

I think English should be compulsory

all over the world, in Primary and Secondary... in college/Unis, we should concentrate the fields of study we wish to pursue.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-6 16:03:26 |Display all floors

I vote No

English is important --- that's true.

But more that that, I think students should volunteer to learn it not be obliged.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.