Views: 9489|Replies: 8

Shagnhainese or Mandarin? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-29 08:43:18 |Display all floors
I have heard the people of Shanghai resent people who are not born in Shanghai. People
that move there....even Chinese....are not dealt fairly.

Is this true?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 10:27:31 |Display all floors

WASP or Spic?

And I have heard that in American they did away with prejudice decades ago.  All people have the same opportunities, and yeah blacks and Hispanics have just the same chance of being elected president as a WASP.  And the schools are already totally integrated, and folks going to church would never dream of going to a mostly white or mostly black church.  

And the jails  have populations that proportionally represent that national population, within a decimal point or two, and there are no gangs anywhere organized by race, religion or  group affinity of any sort.

Sounds like a wonderful system to me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 12:59:51 |Display all floors

The outsiders

A person of non-Han origin was born and bred in Hong Kong and speaks Cantonese and Putonghua fluently complained in a local paper that the Han-Hongkonger would rather speak sub-standard English with him than to use the common language in HK - Cantonese.  He complains that it is so discriminative of the locals to see non-Han as foreigners.

Racial discrimination?

I often hear Chinese living in the city quip "Ah! those peasants! " "Oh my goodness, that's countryside!" like peasants are second class citizens of China. Obviously I wasn't the only one suspecting that. Another writer asserts that the "Hukou" system in China effectively divde the people into several status groups, ensuring non-equality in citizenship. For example, the Chinese in the cities enjoy subsized benefits from the government, while the Chinese in the country not only are deprived of them, but are forced to pay illegal taxes (in addition to legal taxes) to the local governments when the funds from the central government start to dwindle in recent years.

Class discrimination?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 13:50:04 |Display all floors

You Have Obviously Not Played Golf

You have obviously not played golf in Western "upper class" clubs, and have not heard how they refer to the rest of the world.  

You have obviously not heard how the folks who live in homes facing Central Park or on Long Island refer to the schmucks living in Queens.

It is the same all the world over.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 13:58:01 |Display all floors
i believe that all our chinese people admit that  there are a lot of problems and unfair things in china. the government is also not as good as we expect. but in china, there are large population and so little resources. it is not a easy thing to make everything perfect. what is the equality and the legal right? as deng xiaoping have said , make sure that most of people can eat and wear. this is the basic need for all the people. and how can this be achieved?  support the government and improve it steadily. the foreigners do not understand china. china is poor , but it is our motherland. we resent it and love it.  in our eyes, it is the best place in the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 14:13:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by iluv2fish at 2006-5-29 08:43
I have heard the people of Shanghai resent people who are not born in Shanghai. People
that move there....even Chinese....are not dealt fairly.

Is this true?

No. Most Shanghainese have their ancestral roots outside Shanghai, so it would be hypocritical resenting people from outside Shanghai.

What Shanghainese do resent is the many migrant laborers who come to Shanghai to seek employment in construction and road work. These are the miserable suckers who do the dirty work for little money. They are likt the poor schmucks in the US who stand in the road crossings all day long selling news papers.

They are resented because they are more inclined to commit crime than others. But that is of course just a consequence of them being fooled by the Shanghainese companies and local governments in the first place.

They are also resented because of their low class standard and their poverty.

Ordinary Chinese coming to Shanghai are NOT looked down upon.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-29 23:54:32 |Display all floors

Thank you Lian

Tong...please note how Lian answered .....

....and try to be more open minded

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.