Author: mencius

Was the Three Gorges Dam worth it? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-23 17:50:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by baersworth at 23-5-2006 04:20
Any idea how much engery the dam can create ?

Officially it will generate 18,200 megawatts, but only when all the last turbines have been installed and are operational - 2009. I'm not sure what it will be generating before then, as supposedly the turbines already installed will be put into use to get something out ASAP.

The official cost is $25 billion, though environmentalists have said the total cost will end up higher. And to be honest with such big public works they often run overbudget. They may have also factored in what they consider to be the environmental consequences. But really one can't judge the project in that respect until several years have passed.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 23:58:25 |Display all floors

To Be Honest

"And to be honest with such big public works they often run overbudget. "

Yes, yes, yes, and China's Three Gorges Dam is the ONLY project of this size in human history after WWII that came in on time (16 instead of 17 years) and under budget (8% less than budgeted).

When was the last time the UK managed to have a public works project on time and on budget?  

Admit the superiority of SWCC!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-24 00:27:13 |Display all floors

Tong

I believe the entire reason some people have criticised the project over its cost is that they believe much more than the official budget was spent. Just because you believe everything that the Chinese government says doesn't mean that they never hide uncomfortable truths. Whether they did so here... who knows. That's one reason why I said over such issues that are currently unclear it will take time before one can easily pass judgement.

At least in the UK one can write to a government department and find out how much public projects cost (the relevant department is obliged to respond), costings which are examined by the Audit Commission. In China there is no such freedom of information and their Audit Commission is restricted in what it can investigate.

Plus we're not in the business of building large dams here, so a comparison isn't really possible.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-5-23 05:35 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-24 00:38:41 |Display all floors

We Have Noticed That

The Brits are no longer in the business of building just about anything anymore.  So it is kinda hard to use them as a point of reference.

So without the point of reference, you are just conjecturing in your gesticulations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-24 00:54:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 23-5-2006 17:38
The Brits are no longer in the business of building just about anything anymore.  So it is kinda hard to use them as a point of reference.

You made the reference before I did - don't try to spin this around the other way just because I made a comparison that didn't reflect well on China!

In any case, as I said, we don't need large dams. Indeed we don't need large-scale public projects like that, so why should we waste money on something we don't need? As I pondered earlier on, would the Chinese government order the dam to be built today if someone came up with the idea? Probably not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-24 02:12:07 |Display all floors

Pure Conjecture

Yes, with further shift of the UK economy into the "information economy", the share of services grow and the share of manufacturing shrinks, so even less energy is needed, and so is the need for labor.

That's alright, China'd be glad to pick up the slack.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-24 02:24:21 |Display all floors

Pure irrelevance

Originally posted by tongluren at 23-5-2006 19:12
Yes, with further shift of the UK economy into the "information economy".....

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the Three Gorges Dam, public works expenditure or transparency of government spending. So you'll have to excuse me for being a spoil-sport if I point the discussion back towards the title of this thread. :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.