Author: mencius

Was the Three Gorges Dam worth it? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-22 01:34:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 21-5-2006 17:58
"Was"  the Three Gorges Dam worth it?

"Was" refers to the building of the dam, quite obviously.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 01:40:22 |Display all floors

The Dam is Great and don't be so jeloous!

You look pathetic, that's all I need to say.

The British Bikini Queen can't stand China's achievement so she and her gang talk about prostitution on my thread

Check out: How British bikini queen and Liangzai and their gang jumped in to talk about prostitution on this page and the page before:

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/red ... o=lastpost#lastpost

Very Pathetic!

[ Last edited by shanhuang at 2006-5-22 06:50 PM ]
British Queen.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 01:43:30 |Display all floors
From "myfriend"

The Three-Gorges dam is near completion and said to be 1 year ahead of schedule. Facilities for tourism in the area are being built.

Come see the biggest dam in the world. It is 10 times bigger than the Hoover dam in the USA. Although some are pretty jealous about our endeaver, we've accomplished a goal that was almost a century old, that is, preventing floods that used to cost many lives (as bad as New Orleans flood). It is also a major hydroelectric power source.

Three_Gorges.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 01:45:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by shanhuang at 21-5-2006 18:40
You look pathetic, that's all I need to say.

Well you've really demonstrated your debating skills, haven't you?
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 02:00:43 |Display all floors
The places aren't lost to the future.

The places aren't lost ot the future, only lost to you and I.  And that's good, because you and I don't have the future's technology.

Are you saying Chinese archaeologists are half-wits?

Did I say that?  Did I say that?  What did I say?

How come you lead to a conclusion that insults the hosts of the discussion board?

I was thinking primarily of Westerners, but in fact, everyone alive today is less capable of correctly excavating an archeological site than people 200 to 300 years from now.  

The archeological sites beneath the water will stay there and be safe from ineptness and theft.  Future generations of archeologists will have something to dig.

Why can't you think of people into the future?
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 03:53:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 21-5-2006 19:00
I was thinking primarily of Westerners, but in fact, everyone alive today is less capable of correctly excavating an archeological site than people 200 to 300 years from now.

I didn't realise that non-Chinese archaeologists were all over Chinese sites. If they are then either the Chinese gov has not been doing a proper job or they're there because they're needed. I doubt "halfwits", regardless of their nationality, would be allowed to work on such sites. And one usually cannot wait 200 years to excavate sites because "progress" - i.e. development - never waits, nor do thieves.

The archeological sites beneath the water will stay there and be safe from ineptness and theft.  Future generations of archeologists will have something to dig.

Why can't you think of people into the future?

I rather was thinking of the future - that:

a) No one will have the opportunity to dig them up because of all the river boat traffic being in the way
b) The sites will be permanently damaged or destroyed by the water and pollution if future generations ever do have the chance

Seriously please answer these two points, as they're rather fundamental to the concept that you can't just look at these places later.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-5-21 09:01 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 09:43:34 |Display all floors

Time will tell.....but

...I think this was the worst idea Mao ever had….and he had a few.

IT IS COSTLY
Besides the fact it will cost over $60,000,000,000 (Yes $60 Billion).
Note: nuclear power plant costs between $3 to $5 billion.

IT’S NOT EFFECTIVE
The Damn is supposed to stop flooding down stream….it won’t. Most of the
flooding is caused by rivers downstream of the damn.

IT’S DANGEROUS
It is just common sense to have multiple damns along the river to control
flooding and it would be safer too. It this damn gives way due to man made
malice or Mother Nature’s fury, the amount of lives that will be lost will be in
the millions.

IT IS ANTI-GREEN
It will kill millions of fish and endangered species.

IT LACKS CULTURE
It will DESTROY of hundreds of exceptional heritage sites in China.

IT IS DIRTY
With one billion tons of sewage flowing into the reservoir each year….it is
possible that China may have just invented the world’s largest toilet.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.