Views: 32842|Replies: 109

Was the Three Gorges Dam worth it? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-21 19:21:44 |Display all floors
So the main section of the Dam has been completed. What do you think about the project?

Its supporters say that it will stop flooding downstream, allow greater shipping access up the river and provide clean energy.
Its critics point to the financial cost, relocation of some 1.3 million people, submersion of thousands of historical sites and environmental cost were not worth it at all. Also that if the dam ever broke the consequences would be terrible.

Where do you stand? As ever I'll reserve comment here until the conversation gets going.
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
60.00% (21)
37.14% (13)
2.86% (1)
Your current user group has no poll permission
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-21 20:45:25 |Display all floors

stop..., start....

sure, you can say no,but Yes,i suppose that it's worth it.
In history, never no single project like Three Gorges Dam to stirring people around the world to debating.
no like political issues, it's free to say what you want.
my friend, Do you realy realize that how desprate our country needs the energy?
i am working Nigeria now,  i know how important an powerful rising CHINA.
it's not about hating country that heartless to remove 1.3 million people or something to worry now.
it's stand there, beautifully, letting the world to admire.
if one thing can campare, that's Great Wall, even now it's meaningless for military purpose.
Do not be a mindless bieavler from some  negitive view.  
believe the science, the porpose of real science is to improve the life instead blame.
so, you wise man , give your energy to keep our dam working well.
give your useful sugestions to society,  make diffurent, progress.
and remember, we chinese are good. you are good!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-21 21:00:29 |Display all floors

Of course China needs the energy

I believe one of the questions raised about the project is the efficiency of the dam's energy production - it has been argued that the money could have been spent on several smaller projects that would have been cheaper.

it's stand there, beautifully, letting the world to admire.

Well I don't agree with the idea of moving so many people and spending that kind of money if the main objective is to impress the world.

But I don't want to comment too much until there's been more feedback. Hopefully more will leave their opinions about it.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-21 23:48:19 |Display all floors
Yes, very valuable to humanity.

One time someone said that there are valuable archeological sites that will be covered over with hundreds of feet of water.  They said this as an example of what is wrong with the project, but I saw it entirely differently.

In the past 200 years, mankind has dug up and decimated sites that are hundreds and even millions of years old.  China's culture goes back 5,000 years and there are some who feel it is important to dig it all up now.  Well, why can't we leave something for the future to discover?  Why can't we delay discovery and restoration until science will allow for better techniques and better cataloging of artifacts?

The archeological sites in the Three Gorges areas will be safely buried beneath hundreds of feet of water.  No half-wit academics or ill-intentioned artifact hunders will disturb those sites.  In centuries ahead they will reveal new truths about past civilization.
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-21 23:54:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 21-5-2006 16:48
No half-wit academics or ill-intentioned artifact hunders will disturb those sites.  In centuries ahead they will reveal new truths about past civilization.

Are you saying Chinese archaeologists are half-wits?

How can the sites answer any questions if they're buried in water? They'll be heavily damaged if not completely destroyed. And even if they could still be looked at (and there was anything worth looking at), how could they be accessed? Are you just going to stop all river traffic for several months? No chance of that happening.

I think it's a shame that such places had to be lost.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-5-21 04:55 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-21 23:54:30 |Display all floors
When you make an omelette, you have to break some eggs.

Relocating some poor schmucks in sheds to pave the way for modern China is all worth it.

I believe hydro power is always better than fossil fuel.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 00:58:13 |Display all floors

Why Are You Using the Past Tense?

"Was"  the Three Gorges Dam worth it?

The TGD IS, not WAS.  It is still going on, massively rewriting the development history of China, much like the TVA in American history, except about 100 times larger.

It is literally the ONLY major engineering project of this scale since the end of WW II that was done on time and on budget.  Instead of the projected 17 years, it will be finished at the end of 16, and it is 8% unde budget - a feat simply unheard of for projects of this scale.  It not only brings prestige and contributes to national pride, it also conclusively demonstrates the maturity and powress of Chinese civil engineering.  In civil construction, if you want on time and on budget,  GO WITH THE CHINESE TEAM.  In large scale civil engineering project management, China is now at least a decade ahead of anyone else on earth.

The trend is clear: Chinese contractors make their money running projects efficiently.  Western contractors make their money in "adjustments."   If you look at the public works projects in Hong Kong, where international contractors have monopolized the big projects for decades - the "adjustments" can be as much as the origiinal contract or more.

China is already No. 3 in international engineering projects.  With this project management expertise, within a decade Cbina can be No. 1, which will translate to hundreds of billions in new projects.

With that you can also get  a glimse of the power and the beauty of the Chinese one party system.  Can you imagine a project of this size and duration (16 years is 4 terms of 4 years!!) being on time and under budget in a "democratic" system, where each change of administration means more palms out and more pork barrel add ons?  Can you  imagine something of this magnitude being even being attempted in any other developing nation with "democracies" - like India, or Indonesia, or the Phillipines?

It is yet another irrefutable piece of evidence demonstrating the superiority of SWCC.

[ Last edited by tongluren at 2006-5-22 12:59 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.