Author: dreamaker

Disgusting, Japan FM's remarks on Taiwan [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-27 20:00:52 |Display all floors

" Look at me, look at me "

Japanese foreign minister Taro Aso is a right wing warmonger all his life. His crass and crude remarks are already well publicised because this is not the first time he has said it. He speaks not for himself but for the Japanese government of Koizumi. On this point China need to take note. So why is Japan spoiling for a fight ? Or indeed are they doing that , or just goading the Chinese dragon on as a prank ?

Japan has really nothing much to crow about lately. Their economy is in the duldrums, their military is confined to building roads in Iraq, their sporting prowess is disintegrating . While this is going on, the neighbour Chinese Dragon is the toast of the world ; booming economy, spanking new skyscrappers and an emerging middle class of considerable size. China is sending Taikonauts into space while the Japanese are still trying to lift a rocker into the stratosphere. The outcome of all this is envy mixed with a huge load of eye reddening jealousy. With Uncle Sam still gripping the leash, this attack dog is lunging one last time at China, knowing that the length of the leash will ensure that no bites can ensue. It is an attention seeking talking tough posture by an increasingly guilt ridden nation engulfed in a cloud of inferiority complex.

The real test of course is for Mr Aso to carry his rhetoric through and recognise Taiwan the " democratic and wonderful " nation. Aso would not dare to do that , would he ? Even he, and Junichiro know their limits.

Confucius said " Don't be scared of the paper tiger ".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-27 20:11:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 27-5-2006 13:00
The real test of course is for Mr Aso to carry his rhetoric through..

I doubt it very much. Even if it was a freudian slip, a slip it was. Of course Japan might get involved over Taiwan if the US gets into a fight with China. But I don't see the status quo being changed apart from such an unlikely situation.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-28 05:37:19 |Display all floors

This is no Freudian slip: it is sublimal.

Mr Taro Aso has NOT made a Freudian slip at all. It is a well rehearsed and intentional delivery of a barb in the direction of China. A Freudian slip, repeatedly brought up, is a deliberate conscious act. The primary goal of this unrewarding taunt is murky but then who can fathom out the workings of some of the Japanese minds anyway.  There is a strong sense of a back screen puppeteer with a hand in this vaudeville performance. " Demonisation " comes to mind. The big ugly Dragon threatening to swallow poor little cute cuddly Taiwan , that sort of tear jerking, heart string pulling stunt. The result of which is the justification for forming a " coalition  of the noble forces " to surround and contain this bad boy.  It is all so limp and tired why don't they come up with something fresh or better still give it a rest !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-28 11:46:53 |Display all floors

Who cares what I think(?)?

Originally posted by admchengho at 2006-5-27 15:57Who cares what you think? This thread isn't about you and nobody's talking about you.

And I thought a forum was a place for expressing opinions and exchanging views in a civilised manner. Would you ask that daft question if I said the Ministers remarks were a disgrace? While you're thinking about that, read my comments again and take particular note of the words "we" and "us".

With respect,

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-28 20:15:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by iculie at 28-5-2006 04:46

And I thought a forum was a place for expressing opinions and exchanging views in a civilised manner. Would you ask that daft question if I said the Ministers remarks were a disgrace? While you're thinking about that, read my comments again and take particular note of the words "we" and "us".

With respect,

It is. But addy doesn't like to do that when he thinks someone opposes his POV. He thinks that opening functional constituencies in HK up to include most of the HK people was a "malicous" act by Chris Patten. So from that you can easily conclude that addy only likes views that agree with his - if they conflict they must be dismissed or suppressed.

I'm sure that he would have been very at home in early 19th century Britain, where only those with lots of money could vote. "Screw everyone else, my interests are well protected!" he would say.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-5-28 01:19 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-1 14:44:42 |Display all floors
Who cares what I think?
Yeah. Who cares what you would make up in your mind? You said "we'll make up our mind". Who cares?! This thread is dedicated to that As-hol.

That question "Who cares what you think?", were not asked because you made a comment on the said minister. That question was conceived because you made an irrelevant statement about yourself.

Everybody is free to say things they want to say. However, things said are NOT WITHOUT consequence.

You expect civility when you props up someone who shows DISRESPECT for China's sovereignty? Are you that "daft" enough to even think it's legitimate or politically correct for a man of his "position" to utter those words? Why should China's territorial integrity BE SUBJECT TO sinister challenges?

Kid, you might want to spend more time reassessing your understanding about China. Kongzi said, "xue er bu si ze wang, si er bu xue ze dai" - Learning without thinking is waste. Thinking without learning is perilous.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-6-1 18:20:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by dreamaker at 2006-5-19 18:06
Disgusting, Japan FM's remarks on Taiwan

Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso yesterday called Taiwan a law-abiding "country". This was the latest of Aso's recent remarks on Taiwan that challenges Beijing's one-China principle.

According to Japan's Jiji Press news agency, Aso told a parliamentary committee yesterday that Taiwan is "a law-governed country, as its democracy is fairly mature and liberalism has taken root in its economy."

Aso's comment conflicted with Tokyo's long-standing one-China policy, meaning Japan — like the United States and many other nations — does not recognize Taiwan as an independent country. And the Japanese Foreign Ministry denied Aso was breaking new ground.  

OK, we're all agreed that FM Aso's remarks have upset China, and some people who've contributed to this thread.
I wonder if it would be possible to address the main points of Aso's remarks to see where the problem actually is.

Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso yesterday called Taiwan a law-abiding "country".  ...

OK, now while those of the "One China" persuasion have an understandable gripe about Taiwan being described as a "country", let's look at the adjective, "Law Abiding".
Does Taiwan abide by laws, does it implement the rule of law?

According to Japan's Jiji Press news agency, Aso told a parliamentary committee yesterday that Taiwan is "a law-governed country, as its democracy is fairly mature and liberalism has taken root in its economy."

"Mature democracy and liberalism in its economy.
Are these the statements which offend?
It seems to me that if Taiwan practises the rule of law, has a liberal economy and is democratic, that these remarks in themselves cannot be construed as an insult or attack on China.
If they do, can someone please explain exactly how?

Aso's comment conflicted with Tokyo's long-standing one-China policy, meaning Japan — like the United States and many other nations — does not recognize Taiwan as an independent country.  ...

I mentioned how I believe that describing Taiwan as a "country" may offend some viewers.
May I ask the question, that if Aso's remarks read like below, if it would still offend?

Aso as rewritten by emucentral at 2006-6-1 20:14
Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso yesterday called Taiwan a law-abiding province of the PRC. This was the latest of Aso's recent remarks on Taiwan.

According to Japan's Jiji Press news agency, Aso told a parliamentary committee yesterday that Taiwan is "a law-governed province, as its democracy is fairly mature and liberalism has taken root in its economy."

I would appreciate comments. If the above "quote" is not offensive in any way then please let us know.
If it is still offensive, my apologies, and please explain where the problem is.

Cheers

JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.