Author: raymondusa

Just another practical choice, even when it comes to language choices [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-22 18:45:29 |Display all floors
People are smart enough to see the simplified version of the Chinese language has the greater world future.

Simplified character are startint to predominate in American classrooms, educators said. because on a practical level, that system is more widely used

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 19:49:22 |Display all floors
Win??
Did China have a fight with herself?

Btw I prefer traditional Chinese even though I'm a sichuanese, and a lot of my friends love traditional Chinese, which one is beautiful and meaningful is out there in calligraphy....and traditional Chinese's the real Chinese for my part, simplified characters could never take place, one example, how can the word "love"without "heart" in simplified Chinese? Is that love??....I can only say that China lost the precious traditional Chinese and I feel pity, not win...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 19:52:34 |Display all floors
Besides, mandarin doesn't sound similar with ancient Chinese at all...only a few dialect in the south kept traditional Chinese sound...very elegant...I dunno why  speaking mandarin instead of dialect is so worth being proud of...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 00:59:42 |Display all floors
Chinese reading and writting is still way too difficult for me;   therefore, I am for more simplification.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-5-23 01:01 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 05:15:38 |Display all floors

Mandarin sounds just great.

As I have previously touched upon, Chinese in the written form can still retain both the complex and the simplified versions. Of course the latter suits the day to day requirement for fast action and reproduction. The former for the more leisurely artistic or scholarly pursuit of calligraphy and paintings. This satisfies both worlds.

Mandarin has always and will continue to sound beautiful to me. It has that French cultured tones and inflections to it , making it flow like a bubbling stream with soothing refrain and an endearing refined lilt to it. Cantonese and Hokkien are more the workers and tradesmen dialect; with guttural and harsher syllables and rougher tones. It suits the circumstances in which it is commonly used.
:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 09:13:53 |Display all floors
I prefer simplified characters, but that's because they're what I learned. I fully understand the argument for traditional characters (they retain more of the original meaning), and I understand why so many people are annoyed by simplified characters (a lot of the simplification was done arbitrarily, so the characters are inconsistent across the board). Neither method is ideal at the moment. Why not let people have a choice? My classmates did--the Chinese classes were taught in simplified characters, but we could pick either simplified or traditional textbooks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 09:20:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2006-5-23 05:15
Mandarin has always and will continue to sound beautiful to me. It has that French cultured tones and inflections to it , making it flow like a bubbling stream with soothing refrain and an endearing refined lilt to it. Cantonese and Hokkien are more the workers and tradesmen dialect; with guttural and harsher syllables and rougher tones. It suits the circumstances in which it is commonly used.  

That is a very interesting view, MengZhi.:)

But what do you think about just using PinYin for final simplified Chinese writting/reading?
This will allowed those who major in Engineering to cover more ground in Engineering
instead of language.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.