Author: circlept

In today's China Daily: Involve the masses in the nation's reform [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-16 11:38:44 |Display all floors

Reply #14 liangzai's post

I don't know but Africa seems to suffers heavily in the 70's....

Officially, it was in USA that Aids were found on gays.
This are lessons to learnt but not adopt.

As you know, natural is the best.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 11:41:55 |Display all floors

Reply #11 liangzai's post

Liang - you have listed many good points.

As for moral, China is doing well by having religious groups sits in the CPC meeting. They are part of the bigger backbone.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 18:34:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by caringhk at 2006-5-16 11:38

Officially, it was in USA that Aids were found on gays.
This are lessons to learnt but not adopt.

As you know, natural is the best.

I personally don't like (male) gays more than you do, but I think you have reached the wrong conclusions here. Homosexuality has been silently tolerated in all ages and cultures, and only recently been made a part of democracy (as in a general protection of minorities).

That aids was initially spread in America through gays is just a coincidence, just as it was a coincidence that aids was first spread in China through untested blood in hospitals and (less coincidental) by drug users' unclean needles. And just as blood is now tested and drug users are provided with clean needles (in regions with smart politicians), so are gays utilizing safety measures.

Aids is here to stay, and there is no point in blaming certain people for it (it was originally a disease in monkeys in Africa, then mutated in the 1950s to adapt to a human host).

You can blame poverty and ignorance for the further spreading of the disease, as it is Africa that is going to take the big hit.

6500 people die everyday in Africa of aids.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 21:08:38 |Display all floors

CHK

Originally posted by caringhk at 16-5-2006 03:01
What sort of political reforms you like to see???

Wholesale imports of Western democracy which are collapsing even under the simple weight of religion!!!

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you're talking about Iraq, then that's an extreme situation. It had regime changed forced upon it, has had regular terrorist attacks, etc to deal with. And even then there were only two options available - put another strongman in who would have made Iraqis' lives even more of a misery than under Saddam or try to put some sort of democratic system in.

China won't change like that. It will take time - perhaps well in to the 2020s. But I don't see how you can have an authoritarian system that can represent the people of a nation properly. China is in a much better position that Iraq (or Iran) to change. The government has enough authority and control to draw up a roadplan that can allow it to make significant changes. And I don't see Buddhism or Taoism, as the largest faiths in China, trying to turn the place into a theocracy. All the religions seem to get along pretty well with each other, as well, which is a good sign.

So unless you're saying that Chinese people are genetically too stupid or incapable of dealing with democracy because they can't resolve anything through logic and calm debate, then I don't see the problem with having a goal of real democracy for China.

China will have reform but at China terms and conditions suitable to chinese ideologies.

That's a very good way of giving the ruling party carte blanche to do as it pleases. The truth is that China doesn't have a choice at the moment - it's the Party alone. Which is one of the biggest problems.

The idea of talking about "Chinese ideologies" is just a way to cover up for bringing in something that falls short of what is necessary. If you are going to have something like democracy, there isn't much to compromise on. If you start playing about with it too much, soon you don't have anything even remotely democratic.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-5-16 02:26 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 22:01:03 |Display all floors

Involving the masses, good idea!

Two score years ago there was a major "reform" in a rather large country.
The date of its commencement is around this time and has been mentioned in some western media.

The foreign ministry of the nation concerned was quoted as saying that it was the commencement of ten years of "catastrophe". Not my words, not the words of the western media, but the words of the foreign ministry of the country which experienced this rev-o-lution.

This event is recognised as being a disaster to all concerned, by the government of the country which it affected. Estimates range from tens to hundreds of millions who were adversely affected.
It was a catastrophe created by the author of a small book of a certain primary colour (red).

Although the inheritors of this legacy admit the problem, they still don't discuss it publicly at home, and their local media has kept quiet about the "birthday" of the start of this disaster.

Maybe when "Cuba" can come to terms with this and acknowledge the past, can they move on and truly advance.
Good luck "Fidel".

JB
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 22:24:43 |Display all floors
The issue of universal participation in China's reform is becoming increasingly accentuated now that retrospective discussion of the current reform, which was launched 30 years ago, had gone in depth. The reform made the country initially prosperous and has also give rise to a host of problems. Universal participation is necessary to the fair sharing of the reform's benefits by all social strata. Our current reform, however, marks the transition form a centralized distribution set-up to the market economy one, which involves wider coverage and much more fundamental realignment of interest relations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-16 22:33:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-5-16 22:01

Although the inheritors of this legacy admit the problem, they still don't discuss it publicly at home, and their local media has kept quiet about the "birthday" of the start of this disaster.

I haven't thought about this "birthday", but when you mention it I recall a policeman on TV the other day. It was a general documentary about a certain police station, and in one part this police chief did express sincere sentiments of grief and seriousness about that time period. You could not mistake the resent he had in his face (he must have been a young boy at the time).

I am sure all Chinese agree, it is just that it poking in it too much will cause pain in so many people who were there at the time.

On the other hand, rectifying the many people, most of which are now old, who were victims of it, is important (a Chinese just needs to think out of the box for a minute, thinking it was the rape of Najing instead).
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.