Author: tangjiang8

The differences between the South and the North in the United States ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-19 09:04:13 |Display all floors

Jeb would never win

The negative coattails of his brother will guarantee that. The approval ratings of bush is at about 33%and sinking .say goodbye to the republicans next election.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 09:08:15 |Display all floors

November Would Be An Interesting Test

I understand the current polls show Democrats 50% Republicans 39% Everything Else 11%.  What does it mean to have a Democratic majority in either house?  Is Dubya already a lame duck?  Seriously speaking, Dubya, since he is so inept, is good for China.   But then he is so terrible for the world at large that China would have to defer to the interest of the world, and wish the Democrats good luck.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 09:21:17 |Display all floors
No backlash from me on it.

Slavery is a great evil that continued on into the 20th century in Brazil and is still practiced in some parts of Africa today.

the North won because that side had the right causes on their side.  I know of the instant backlash I will receive if I mention slavery but to deny that it was an issue is ignorance personified.  

I probably know more about the American Civil War than anyone you'll visit with this week, overkill.  I grew up around Washington, DC, which was the front line of the Civil War, and I studied it informally and formally while in high school and college.  I went to ungraduate school in Richmond, which was the capitol of the Confederacy, and I went to graduate school in New Orleans, which was a major strategic port.  

Slavery was a huge evil, but slavery was also a huge economic institution as well.  So it was unlikely that slavery could have been ended without a civil war, but some have pointed out that it would have been cheaper for the USA to buy the freedom of every slave than to fight a civil war to free them.  Of course, the reality is that buying the freedom of everyone who was enslaved woudn't have ended slavery.  It just would have cost a lot and then there would still need to be a war to end the instution of slavery.  And the southerners would have had a lot more money to fight the war after being compensated for all their slaves.

One fact that escaped me until recently was the trade with the south.  For the first few years of the Civil War, northerners were legally able to sell supplies to the southern armies.  It kept the south afloat.  The legal loophole was closed just as the South was beginning to run out of gold and silver, so the southerners went north to Gettysburg.  They fought and lost a battle there, and they lost everywhere else the next two years too.  At the close of the Civil War, the South was destroyed politically, militarily, and economically.  
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 09:31:29 |Display all floors

Historically speaking

The democrats are more interested in the internal affairs of the US ( better for the economy ) and less intrusive in foreign affairs. However
if the American people feel threatened or attacked (sept 11) They tend to vote republican . Thankfully America has not been attacked in many years now which actually hurt the republicans come election time , this is precisely why the republicans are constantly trying to scare the American public . Unfortunately the republicans will try to convince the American public that it is because of them that america has not been attacked . I personally feel that the republicans foreign policy has increased terrorism in the world  and definitely gave rise to the growing anti-Americanism going on today . A democratic president can reverse this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 09:45:37 |Display all floors

80% Chance Dubya Will Play Dirty

And he will engineer another "crisis" and start another war, to make the Americans want to vote Republican again.

I don't understand the logic of that - normally you would think that war is repugnant and would turn reasonable folks off.  But apparently it works.

There are a lot of folks like Fish, it is clear.  Blindly led - actually not really following, as they don't give a feck about what is done in their name, as long as they have their beers and cable TV.

Frightening.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 10:09:15 |Display all floors

Too late

Bush has lost credibility with the American people and is now a lame duck . After iraq who is going to believe him anymore?
There is no support in America for any war with Iran and he knows it thats why he is taking the diplomatic rout in regards to Iran .
He could try something but i doubt it will work and could get him impeached . Hes not to smart but smart enough not to take that
kind of risk.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-19 15:54:50 |Display all floors
How in the world did he get elected for a second term anyway? The americans are just as blindly patriotic and brainwashed as the chinese. Bloody hilly-billy-republican-gun-totting-god-bless-America-rednecks.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.