Views: 18775|Replies: 43

The differences between the South and the North in the United States ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-8 19:41:38 |Display all floors
The differences between the South and the North in the United States ?
i think there are plenty of differenes,  from geography to  life style , from economic to politic to culture ?
Any native plz tell me some specific differences > Thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-8 23:06:09 |Display all floors
Life in the South is slower than the North (or, more specifically, the Northeast). People talk slower and seem less rushed. The South is also more conservative--it's called the Bible Belt for a reason! Some say racism is more prevalent in the South than the Northeast, but I think that might depend on where you are.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-10 05:34:08 |Display all floors
I find the large cities of the United States to be very homogonous, with the exception of very large cities like New York or Los Angeles. Part of this is because a lot of people living in the large cities are not from there. I think there are more people born and raised in Ohio living in Tampa, Florida than native to Florida. Also large cities tend to be dominated by chain stores like McDonald's, Applebee's, Wal-Mart, etc. Meaning that I can expect to find about the same restaurants in Houston, Texas as I can find in Detroit, Michigan or even Tampa.

To really see a difference between North and South nowadays one should look in the smaller cities and towns.  Perhaps compare Fargo, North Dakota to Midland, Texas or Portsmouth, Ohio to Hartwell, Georgia. There is the obvious accent – in Southeast Ohio they can pronounce any word, no matter how many letters as one syllable. Then there is the food. Typically southerners like spicy foods and northerners like bland foods. True southern fried chicken is delicious. Northern fried chicken, however, is tasteless.  Southerners tend to be friendlier than northerners. Northerners tend to be more business like than southerners. Southerners are said to be more racist than northerners, but then again a southerner will tell you if he is racist, a northerner will not. As for religion, I would say that it is about the same anymore. Typically people in rural areas are more religious than people in urban areas, be it north or south. Anyway, I think the differences are gradually fading away. In a hundred years it might be hard to recognize them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-10 07:07:05 |Display all floors

Taxes....

You have more Taxes in these Democratic states up North.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-10 08:32:10 |Display all floors
The Souh has a very distict culture.

The South has a very distinct culture and a very distinct accent.  

The South is thought to be more "backward" than the Northern cities and states.  This has some truth to it, but the causes are more significant.  About 150 years ago the Southern states attempted to quit the USA and tried to form their own country.  A Civil War ensued.  The North won because it had more war-making industries and more people.  After the Civil War, the South was slow to rebound from defeat, and then there was an economic crisis in the entire country during the 1930s that harmed the South.

In the past 30 years the South has come alive once again because many factories that used to locate up North now find the South is a better place to locate.

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-12 07:13:56 |Display all floors

add a little

Mr "fish" - I find your statement comparing the taxes between the North and the South to be somewhat
misleading.  I'm sure you are familiar with the statement "you get what you pay for."  Well along with
somewhat higher taxes (quite a generalization) the services provided for the taxes paid in the North are quite
different.

Mr "Matt" - I would have to disagree about why the North won the Civil War.  In my opinion, the North won
because that side had the right causes on their side.  I know of the instant backlash I will receive if I mention
slavery but to deny that it was an issue is ignorance personified.  The other issue that I believe that the Union
Army had on it's side was just the issue of keeping the country united as one.  I think one would have a hard
time finding any war in the history of the world that pitted family members or friends against each other more
than that one.

"wookie" - I would also have to disagree with:

"Northern fried chicken, however, is tasteless"

I own a restaurant in Wisconsin and have my own personal receipe for the coating we use on our broasted
chicken.  I would put our chicken up against any chicken from the South and I have tasted Southern fried
chicken from hundreds of restaurants from all over the South.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-12 07:17:55 |Display all floors

The Straits War

"I think one would have a hard time finding any war in the history of the world that pitted family members or friends against each other more than that one."

Oh sorry...that one has not started yet.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.