Author: roger604

America's secret super weapon against China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-12 20:49:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by raymondusa at 2007-7-12 13:15
So Joey, when you play the interracial card, I say, “Women pay attention, as that is how some of these Non-Asians see you – as chattel for one-upsmanship.

Thats given me the idea for a new thread.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-13 04:36:33 |Display all floors
raymondusa:

Quote:
"Asians don’t value entertainment and sports as a career, but more like an unstable vocation"
I am glad you set that straight. But can you define our self-identity? I am not from America so I don't know much about the Asians there.

roger604:
Remember premier Deng's goal for China? It was "Stay out of conflicts and conserve your strength" as best as I can translate it.  It's rather premature to talk about wars yet.

And both of you,please, stop negatively criticizing each other. You two share the same cultural heritage. Asians need to support one another, especially when we're an minority in North America and all the English-speaking places.
Speak now, or forever hold you tongue.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-13 13:25:43 |Display all floors
roger604:

This has more to do with your own failing than it has to do with American Media.  Asian American culture does not promote or encourage entertainment and sports as a serious career for Asian Americans, so under representation is not surprising.  Conversely, Asian Americans emphasize, promote, support, encourage, and reinforce the importance of getting a great education, so not surprisingly, we see a disproportionately high representation of Asian Americans excelling in Ivy League schools, and colleges in general.  By Joey’s stats, there is a 600% greater ratio of Asian Americans graduating from an Ivy League School per capita, compared to Whites.  Is that racism?  Some Non-Asians attempt to make the same lame argument that it is unfair for Asian enrollment in certain colleges to dominate, thereby excluding Non-Asians.  Your whining is as bad as the Non-Asians whining about not getting into the Ivy League school they want because there are too many Asian students already.  Fairness is not about equal exact proportions measured against the population distribution.  Some things are just disproportionate, reflecting the things that are important and emphasized, and what is not important in a culture.     

If media perceptions were such a pervasive and racist problem, it should logically affect all Asian Americans with pervasive racism.  While I have had some racist experiences, I cannot say America is full of pervasive racism.  As an Asian American, it is my responsibility to define me, not media’s responsibility to define me.  While media can influence, ultimately, I have more influence over how other perceive me, than any median.  I admit racism does exist in America, but it is not such a pervasive problem as you are attempting to imply.  

One can actually make a stronger case that there is greater racism against blacks in America.  If you are black, police are more likely to stop you when you are driving a nice car in an upscale neighborhood, and store personnel are more likely to follow and watch you in a store, because they think you will steal something.  If you look at hate crime statistics, there is higher numbers against blacks per capita, in America.   

Roger, you have tried to belabor this one point over and over.  Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with you, only you ultimately determine how others perceive you.   Whining and complaining doesn’t change your reality.  Only you can change your reality.  The sooner you realize that, the happier you will be.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 00:15:11 |Display all floors
raymondusa:

Quote:
"Asians don’t value entertainment and sports as a career, but more like an unstable vocation"
I am glad you set that straight. But can you define our self-identity? I am not from America so I don't know much about the Asians there.

roger604:
Remember premier Deng's goal for China? It was "Stay out of conflicts and conserve your strength" as best as I can translate it.  It's rather premature to talk about wars yet.

And both of you,please, stop negatively criticizing each other. You two share the same cultural heritage. Asians need to support one another, especially when we're an minority in North America and all English-speaking places.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 00:35:41 |Display all floors
Joey
It's people like you that makes me wonder why the internet was invented  to allow people communicate better. Is personal insults the best that you could retort to?  You talk as if you're the supreme race without faults. The funny thing is, most white women looks down on a lot of white men because of this exact reason- arrogance and being racist. China is opening up, but how she opens up, the rate at which she opens up,and how we feel about it is completely up to us. You lecture us on our supposed "inferiority"  when in fact,  it is your own insecurity that makes you feel threatened by the Chinese. Otherwise, why would you be here?
Why would you be interested in a discussion that has nothing to do with you (Unless you're an Asian youself and are too stubborn to admit it)?
If you think you're so perfect, then stay away from this forum. Don't talk to us imperfect people.

P.S. Hong Kong is a part of China. I'll be very surprised if you can find any white person born there before the nineteenth century.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 04:18:14 |Display all floors

Complex

Case in point is Hong Kong - White Men simply cannot compete when there is a level playing field.

Hong Kong used to be paradise for the Guai Lo and Guai Por.  If they speak English, they can get by even if they have no skills.  Colonial rules made life easy for even the lazy and stupid, the parasites and leeches who live off the fat of the natives.

In the 10 years since Hong Kong reverted to Chinese, the colonial discrimination against Chinese was rightfully removed, and what do we see?  

90% of the expats are GONE, no longer able to make a living once the preference system (both formal and informal) is removed.  And that is 90% GOOD RIDDANCE!!

To me, that proves convincingly that white men simply are not competitive, when the playing field is level.

No wonder there is a complex.

[ Last edited by tongluren at 2007-7-14 04:22 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 04:59:43 |Display all floors

Hm...

Originally posted by tongluren at 2007-7-13 14:18
90% of the expats are GONE, no longer able to make a living once the preference system (both formal and informal) is removed.  And that is 90% GOOD RIDDANCE!!

It is the 10% types hard to get rid of?

Originally posted by azn_tan at 2007-7-13 10:35
I'll be very surprised if you can find any white person born there before the nineteenth century.  

Or are they all old enough to be gone in 40 years.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.