Author: divina

R, L and S [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-14 18:04:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by divina at 5-5-2006 05:05
I don't understand WHY many Chinese people say "urally" instead of "usually"... one example only... but you all know what I'm talking about... getting the pronounciation of the  ...

Even in the US there are many English words that are not pronounced correctly.  Anyone that's been to America would know this quite well.  Take a trip to Boston then antoher to Texas and tell me different.

Why are the Chinese expected to be any different?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 18:19:03 |Display all floors

mikeghet

"This is where the "zh" might be a problem... There's always a solution. For "rouge" it can be pronounced "rouj" and "usually" can be pronounced "use-wally"

You can easily opt for easier ways, a little similar to how it is pronounced!

Did you know, many English speakers cannot pronounce "th" and therefore they use "f",  "v" or "d" instead?

Many say "free" instead of "three", "der is" instead of "there is" depending on what sounds more similar... but "u-zhu-a-lly" to "u-rally" is so far off! "

it's choosing WHICH letters are best to make your sentences comprehensible that makes people understand what one is saying. If everyone is saying it doesn't matter what letters you pick, as in we can all speak the way we want to speak and utter any nonesense, I guess the amount of people suffering from dyspraxia doesn't really need speech therapy then... oh well...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 18:38:26 |Display all floors
divina, I was responding to your first post.  I haven't read the others...

All I was saying is that all across the world English is spoken differently, even in the US, so I think it's asking a little too much to ask China to speak American English perfectly.  Especially when Americans don't even speak the same across the entire US.  

I once read an AP (of course) story about how North Koreans are are having surgery where a part of their tongue is cut  to enhance their English speaking abilities.  Maybe it's due to laziness, similar to accents, but perhaps it's a natural twang for Asians...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 19:05:59 |Display all floors
It's wanting to sound so much like Americans is what!!! they just want to put an "R" everywhere!!! NOT ALL CHINESE but most!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 19:11:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by divina at 5-14-2006 19:05
It's wanting to sound so much like Americans is what!!! they just want to put an "R" everywhere!!! NOT ALL CHINESE but most!!!

sheesh, you're kinda grouchy ain't ya?  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 21:09:30 |Display all floors

yes today I am

Must be the PMS- It's kind of irritating but inevitable... tomorrow I'll wake up feeling like an arse... you know murders are committed by some women with PMS so intense, with a good lawyer, charges are actually dropped! ;-)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-14 23:31:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by divina at 5-14-2006 21:09
Must be the PMS- It's kind of irritating but inevitable... tomorrow I'll wake up feeling like an arse... you know murders are committed by some women with PMS so intense, with a good lawyer, charge ...

jesus, i didn't want to guess or anything, but that's what I was a thinkin'!!!

if your mate had a clue he'd get rid of all glass and sharp items in the living quarters ASAP!!!!   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.