Views: 10916|Replies: 30

R, L and S [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-5 05:05:25 |Display all floors
I don't understand WHY many Chinese people say "urally" instead of "usually"... one example only... but you all know what I'm talking about... getting the pronounciation of the words wrong when I KNOW they can VER WELL say it, if they STOPPED analyzing HOW to say it, and JUST say it!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-5 09:13:38 |Display all floors
...they can VERY WELL say it, if they STOPPED analyzing HOW to say it, and JUST say it!!!

not necessarily. don't believe me? try them with words that contain the [sh] sound or the [zh] sound;

[sh]: ship, ocean, sugar, social, portion.
[zh]: vision, rouge, azure, measure, usual.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-5 09:28:44 |Display all floors

???

so? I'm sure you can all say it...then why does it most of the time sound WRONG and way off??!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-5 12:30:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by divina at 2006-5-5 09:28
so? I'm sure you can all say it...then why does it most of the time sound WRONG and way off??!!!

my experience is that the two sounds [sh] and [zh] are very difficult for people from northen china to pronounce. these two consonants do not exist in manderin. even for english majors, you may do this simple experiment: ask them to pronounce the words listed on floor#2 (containing sh or zh) slowly.  you will find some of them can't pronounce the words correctly when they slow down. i am told that lab training is a good way to eliminate bad pronunciations found from students in china.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-5 17:46:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by divina at 2006-5-5 05:05
...getting the pronounciation of the words wrong when I KNOW they can VER WELL say it ...

That's unfair! Chinese is our mother tongue. English is not an easy language to learn.
welcome to my blog
http://www.jackypeng.com/blog

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-9 12:19:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by alegria at 2006-5-5 17:46

That's unfair! Chinese is our mother tongue. English is not an easy language to learn.

you're wrong... If there's any language that's easy to learn it's English... maybe it's not that easy for some people and I can't argue with that but you've got an endless supply of resources...

If the Chinese stopped trying to pronounce English the American way and tried pronouncing it any way they can they'd do better...

Remember, English has no tones, no accents you have to follow... anyway, good luck to all of you...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-9 12:34:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by divina at 2006-5-9 12:14

That's wierd for you to say that! sh and is used in mandarin!!! Especially in the north where they seem to pronounce it more accurately than the south... North speaks better putonghua right.. ...

you idiot!
read floor #2 and be advised that [sh] and [zh] are not  chinese pinyin.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.