Author: angelawu

桂林山水甲天下,怎么翻译? [Copy link] 中文

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-5-3 17:32:21 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-4 10:48:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rovi297 at 2006-5-3 17:32

I went there once in my life. It was absolutely thrilling. I would love to go there again if nyleda can sponsor me financially.

As soon as I arrive there, I would stay  ...

welcom to visit america's best geographical wonder.

i will pay half of the round-trip airline tickets. :) .

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2006-5-4 11:33:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 07:35:34 |Display all floors
可真逗,这个"甲"天下又有一个新的 final version:

http://www.fit2008.org/E_fit2008/2006-03/16/content_80017.htm
News

TAC provides 44 authoritative language versions to one famous verse

Entrusted by the Guilin Municipal Government, TAC has recently organized seniortranslators to translate afamous Chinese verse in praise of Guilin’s natural beauty桂林山水甲天下(literally means Guilin’swaters and mountains are the best under heaven)into 44 languages, including English, French,German, Spanish, Italian,Finnish, Japanese, Korean, etc. These language versions will be inscribedon stone tablets and displayedin theme park named after this verse.

This famous verse about Guilin, a city in South China, was written more than 800 years ago by a local official as the beginning of a poem and has since made Guilin known to almost every Chinese. This verse has been translated into many languages with multiple versions. The Guilin Government, hoping to establish Guilin as an international tourist destination, approached TAC and asked TAC to organized qualified translators to work out the single best version for each of the 44 languages, which will be regarded as the standard translations of the verse in the respective languages.

With special seminars, e-mail consultations, and feedback from a piece of news posted on TAC’s website, multiple versions have been collected and discussed. Though it’s an endless debate as to which is the “single best” version, the final decisions were made by February 2006. The final English version is “By water, by mountains, earth’s fairest, Guilin” (an alternative version was also proposed to Guilin: Guilin’s waters and mountains captivate the world).

This event has been widely reported on local media as well as some national media, and has even aroused heated discussions on many BBS. It demonstrated the strength of TAC as the national professional association of translators and interpreters, and the importance of good translation in cultural communication.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 08:02:39 |Display all floors
Entrusted 这个词用得太多了。在这里应该用 Commissioned。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 08:10:29 |Display all floors
44 authoritative language versions

authoritative versions in 44 languages

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 08:13:44 |Display all floors
it is very likely that some of those authoritative versions will turn out to be laughing stock for native speakers of some of the 44 languages.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.