Views: 3305|Replies: 2

Has the status of women changed significantly in modern times? (in America) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-23 15:03:32 |Display all floors
Has the status of women changed significantly in modern times? (in America)

What do you think?
It's for my homework.
Thanks for your help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-23 23:26:46 |Display all floors

Yes, but many women do not know how to deal with their new freedoms.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-24 06:09:45 |Display all floors
As an American woman, I have (luckily) never felt the oppression of not being allowed to go to school because I was a girl, or not being able to have a certain job because I was a girl. I always felt I was allowed to do whatever I wanted when I grew up. (Though I have felt those limitations from other things, such as not thinking I could go to college because I couldn't afford it, but not because I was a woman).

However, there are little things that still show sexism. It mostly shows in individual's comments and the way women are treated. For instance, I may give a man a suggestion about how to do something, and he may ignore it or think about it more, whereas when another man gives that suggestion, it is accepted right away. I have had the feeling many times that some men thought I could not possibly be smart in a certain area, or as clever as they, or whatever. Maybe they really believed it, or maybe it was just hurting their ego. Either way, they need to get over that, it's not cool.

When my parents were young, and especially my grandparents, many women only aspired to getting married to a "good man". Now, some women still only want/need that (some want to be a wife & mother and not work), but for the women that would rather be a career woman and not have a family, or have one later in life, that option is open to her. Still, in some jobs, it is difficult for women to get ahead as far or as easily as men.

And you should search for information about women's pay vs. men's pay. It is said that often men earn more than women who are doing the same job. I don't know about that, but it might be a good topic to look into. Maybe you could pick a time period to compare "now" to. Like, the 60's or 50's or 70's. Then you could say what things were like for women then as opposed to now.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.