Views: 6619|Replies: 12

Chinese Keyboard? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-22 01:40:20 |Display all floors
I recently purchased a Chinese Keyboard off of eBay hoping that it would help with my learning of Chinese. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to use it. I have tried googling this with little success. Is there any site that explains, in English, how to use a Chinese keyboard?  It is basically a standard US keyboard with three Chinese characters on all the letter keys.

Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-22 13:19:01 |Display all floors
sorry ,i have no idea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-22 20:53:13 |Display all floors
I have never seen it ....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-23 10:51:41 |Display all floors
can u show yr keyboard to us by a picture?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-23 12:20:47 |Display all floors
Here is a link to a photo of the keyboard:

I think it may be well beyond my simple abilities to understand it. I’m still sticking with Microsoft Pinyin for the time being.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-23 12:42:18 |Display all floors
Nobody uses a "Chinese" keyboard... I guess it works by 五笔画 (Wubi hua), but you need software that can hook on to the keyboard input.

Just stick to regular ITABC input using Pinyin. It sucks on Windows, like everything does, but if you can't get a Mac, then it is better than nothing.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-23 13:38:14 |Display all floors
The "character" on the top right of each key is not really a character. It is a phonetic symbol that some Chinese people use(d) when they were learning Chinese. Each one represents a sound, and when you put 2-3 together, you have the sound of one word, or actually one character. If a person is already fluent in using these symbols, s/he would "spell" this way. If I'm correct, this method is not commonly used anymore in mainland China. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to give him any clues I can.) I have one children's book from Hong Kong that has those symbols next to each character.

The bottom two characters seem to be radicals. Many radicals are words on their own, and they all combine with other character parts to form the thousands of characters in Chinese. I don't know about this keyboard, but I might assume it might be similar to looking up words in a dictionary by radical. Don't quote me on that, it would just be my educated guess.

How good is your Chinese? (mine is still... well, put it this way, I MIGHT be able to talk to a 3 year old for about a minute) But besides speaking, can you look up characters in a Chinese dictionary (not pinyin)? If you look at a bunch of characters you don't know, can you pick them apart a little bit and find some familiar radicals? For example, in 想,can you see that it has 3 parts? If so, do you know what those 3 parts are called or what they would mean if they were on their own? If so, you might be able to learn that keyboard if you really want to, although everyone is saying no one uses it anymore. Could be an interesting hobby, though not a practical way to type for real if you're learning pinyin anyway.

I like to practice writing, and it helps me remember the characters.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.