Author: happynomad

a question from a Japanese friend: why do you have a English name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-11 17:27:08 |Display all floors

how many people would like to stop using English names?

I am not optimistic about it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 15:30:10 |Display all floors

Why an English name?

Originally posted by happynomad at 2006-4-20 17:25
I have work ed in MNCs all the time since I graduated. Like most colleagues,I have a English name. To be honest, I never ponder why I always use English name at work, instead of Chinese name.

Th ...

It is fun to have an English name. English represent an admirable culture and civilization and no wonder people adopt an English name. Young parents name their babies English names. That is no wonder either. Many foreigner have Chinese names, still no wonder. More and more people across the world will take a Chinese name as China is becoming No One economy, still still no wonder. Playing up to those in power in human nature after all.
What is the wonder!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 15:34:15 |Display all floors

protect Chinese culture

Originally posted by carton at 2006-5-4 10:53
carton06@126.comcarton06

I think use of English name in chinese imployeses  is just a corner of ove ...

Young fellow, don't worry. I can assure you Chinese civilization will prevail in the world in the end. I am surer of that than of the fact that I am typing you an answer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 15:40:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zhaohanqing at 2006-5-22 15:30

It is fun to have an English name. English represent an admirable culture and civilization and no wonder people adopt an English name.

The problem is that most "English" names are anything but English. They are French, German, Greek, Italian, Hebrew... but rarely English. Have you ever heard of a Chinese calling herself Rowena?

Many foreigner have Chinese names, still no wonder. More and more people across the world will take a Chinese name as China is becoming No One economy, still still no wonder.

The reason foreigners use Chinese names is simply because the Chinese usually can't pronounce his/her real name. It is not customary to have another name just because you go to another country; thus, Americans called John will remain John in Germany (rather than Johann), and French in England will remain Jacques (rather than Jack).
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 21:06:25 |Display all floors
We were  born in china,We are living in china and We are chinese,Why  should we use english name,I don't understand that there are most postgradutes have an english name in our university.Is it so necessary??

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-22 21:29:41 |Display all floors
I just make my own name in Chinese. Black Tiger.
Why? I am a Tiger. I am Black. Very literal and everyone remembers it easily.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-23 16:23:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by liangzai at 2006-5-22 15:40

The problem is that most "English" names are anything but English. They are French, German, Greek, Italian, Hebrew... but rarely English. Have you ever heard of a Chinese calling hers ...

I think some people adopt "English" names just for fun. As u say, they don't even know if it is an "english" name. They are just intended to create a name in roman letter. So you'll see Yumiko, kawai, which is literaly the Japanese pronunciation as some gal's "english" names.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.