Author: jackheejun

please remember we are chinese [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-5-5 15:59:52 |Display all floors

Hey, Mr.jackheejun does not mean Chinese shouldn't learn the English language

He is just concerned about the consequence that addicting to English might bring, which I guess is many Chinese people's concern excluding me. Too much attachment to the importance of English is very likely to divert our kids to getting estranged from Chinese which should be and if I may say this, must be reinforced becuase they are Chinese.

Somehow the symptoms are being shown today and that certainly bothers many, say, intellectuals, most of them scholars. But I don't see the necessity of worrying about the future of the Chinese language because the more globalized this world becomes, the more diverse it will be, which means the locality of a certain region, the local culture definitely won't disppear; instead, it might prosper even more under the invisible erosion of a strong culture because it is absolutley going to fight for survival. If the locality can't escape the fate of extinction, you know it's Heaven's wish. No one is to blame.

[ Last edited by robbiexie at 2006-5-5 04:01 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-7 01:56:19 |Display all floors

You can't have everything w/o English.

But English is not eveything.
Off subject question here: What is the definition of being Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-7 23:51:23 |Display all floors
Out of respect for my native languages. If you intend to learn them as nothing more than tools, then perhaps that's why i usually don't enjoy speaking them with Chinese, because it makes me feel like a tool too. Ever consider that? I'm fluent in three langauges and learning three more. Not one of them am i learning as a tool (I would never intend to offend another cultrue that way). Each one of these six languages is either my native language or intended to learn more about anotehr culture or to make friends. As for money and jobs, yes, those are added bonuses, but cetainly not the shallow materialistic be all and end all of which I'm reading in this thread. If you think of my native languages as nothing more than tools, then pelase do mea favour and don't learn them.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-7 23:56:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fidodido at 2006-5-5 13:14
Don't forget our culture!

Why we learn English is not the question that we now think,facing the fact that our chinese prople are learning English,we should think that how we reserve our language culture.

In recent years,more and more foreigners are learning chinese,but in our country many people are learning English,including students,businessmans,social peoples and so on.I can't say this is not a good phenomena,but as we all know,our culture of language is disappearing little by little!Lots of people belong English name themselves,furthermore,in a chinese talk,there are always some English words!

Good points. In many nations, people learn their national languages first, out of RESPECT for their own people. Many Canadians learn French. Many in the US learn Spanish, etc. So why couldn't the Chinese showe that they actually acknowledge their minorities and learn Uighur, Tibetan, Mongolian, Zhuang, Russian, Korean, etc. If you don't learn their langauges, then why should they learn yours?

Just a simple question about which to think. Have you ever considered that in China, English speakers are sometimes accorded more privileges than the Chinese themselves? If I go to a train terminal in Changchun, there is English here and there. But where's the Korean? Korean is possible the second biggest language in that city after Chinese. And the Koreans are locals! Does their culture mean nothing to you?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-8 00:01:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by robbiexie at 2006-5-5 15:59
He is just concerned about the consequence that addicting to English might bring, which I guess is many Chinese people's concern excluding me. Too much attachment to the importance of English is very likely to divert our kids to getting estranged from Chinese which should be and if I may say this, must be reinforced becuase they are Chinese.

Somehow the symptoms are being shown today and that certainly bothers many, say, intellectuals, most of them scholars. But I don't see the necessity of worrying about the future of the Chinese language because the more globalized this world becomes, the more diverse it will be, which means the locality of a certain region, the local culture definitely won't disppear; instead, it might prosper even more under the invisible erosion of a strong culture because it is absolutley going to fight for survival. If the locality can't escape the fate of extinction, you know it's Heaven's wish. No one is to blame.

Then you're obviously not well read on sociolinguistics. Are you aware of the role language conflict played in contributing to the bloodshed in the balkans and Sudan? Are you aware that's it currently threatens the very unity of Canada as a nation? Are you aware that it contributes to ethnic tension in Urumqi? Anyone aware of sociolinguistic issues and concerned about peace will certainly want a carefully thought out government language policy directed towards peaceful coexistance of langauge communities as opposed to a laissez-faire approach which is bound to lead to conflict as soon as one language begins to dominate another.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-10 19:01:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yanyin at 2006-5-2 09:14

You like how German sounds? You have bad taste. Ever heard poetry and operas in French? italian?

I prefer Die Zauberflöte and Der Ring des Nibelungen
That's just your taste, and you're not privileged to judge others...thus I can  judge you have a stereotyped and parrot taste?  
I know those stereotypes about how beautiful and romantic French is...I'm just not interested in French, Italian's nice but sounds mild, as for fair-sounding they can't compare with Icelandic...as for German it sounds powerful and ringing, naturally suitable  for metal music, I love it~~! ...but anyways language without certian atmosphere like good poems, articles, witty conversations, and articulating, language is simply a language and I can't fall for it , the exception is Chinese, cause it's hieroglyphic writing...even one character alone could mean a lot, it's a born art

[ Last edited by superkylin at 2006-5-10 07:08 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-10 19:23:51 |Display all floors
superkylin,

I love you already. You're a breath of fresh air. You chose to learn a foreign language because you love it. You knew exactly what language you wanted to learn and why, and did it. And it was not for money or tests (even if those might be added bonuses), but for the eloquence of the language itself. I don't know German myself, but I can see you definitely made the right choice. You recognised that language is not just a "tool", but rather a key to the hearts of man.

Now as for those who just learn languages as a tool, out of respect for the rest of us, please use your time more efficiently by studying something else instead. thanks.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.