Author: zoelynn

do teenagers really need mobiles?? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-7 13:17:51 |Display all floors
Personally, I don't think a student should a mobile phone. It is terribly to inmagine when a proffesor was in a class, talking happily to a large audience , when suddenly, you heae the sound of mobile phone  here and there. The lecture will spoiled by the sound .
    My dear fellows , to respect yourself and others , you had better turn off your mobile phone or set it into vibration.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 13:50:07 |Display all floors
The school could just create a policy to disenable Cell phone usage when inside classrooms. If the policy is violated then take away their cell phones and if any students rebel...just show them the policy. These are students, they should understand what reasoning and thinking things in logic means.

If you can afford a cell phone then why not.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 13:54:13 |Display all floors

Something from a new worker

Well, I feel motivated to put something now. As for the mobile phone, I hold basically a denied attitude to this issue.

I have been a student 4 years ago embracing a great aspiration in heart and having a passionate emotion to everything in the world. During that time, only a tiny number of my schoolmates have mobilephone, which as a luxurious thing for most people was expeced to get by everyone. But I had one . It's  a glorious mark of my unique identity for me . Ever since getting that mobile phone, I had got much glimpse with pleasing jealousness. In fact, it was utilized so less then. When I really had to call somebody, I would turn to public telephone in order to save some money. I feel shame about my behavior  when I have to recall them now.

Nowadays, I have embarked on a road of  surgeon for 4 years. The mobile have become virtually a indispensable part of my life. It would be very dangerous if they couldn't  get in touch with me ,which was usually by the very designated mobile phone .

What is my experience meant to imply?:)

[ Last edited by hbguo98 at 2006-4-7 01:55 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 15:54:32 |Display all floors

Notice how the topic implies "Do Teenagers" ...you have failed to read the question before answering. I know kids that are age 10 now that have cell phones for easier access to contact their parents. If it is used in that respect then I see nothing wrong with a 'teenager' being able to handle that kind of self-control. However the schools must create a policy that can co-exist with the use of cell phones. To competely abolish cell phone use among teenagers would be a complete waste of time because the 'marketers' for the cell phone companies has already done the 'damage' and influence.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 15:59:23 |Display all floors

Reply #18 eyeofstorm's post

Give them the cheapest phone unless one can afford the higher priced ones!!!
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 16:00:05 |Display all floors
It is ok for them to have one as long as they are not using it to compare with each other. A cheap one with good communication function is enough.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 19:25:28 |Display all floors
The desire to bond to others is natural and for growing youths it is a very strong propelling force.  The handphone provides exactly that send/save/delete anywhere-anytime mobile connectivity, further personalized with ringtones and all manners of special shortforms.  It's the embodiment of the ear/eye paradigm.

In later years, the handphone will become even more useful;  not just with 3G/3.5G/4G for moving images, but also with other mobile applications; for instance, what if one can fit a RFID chip inside someone's handphone that can trigger sensors in shopping malls as someone walks by, which can then relay the person's buying profile to the outlets along the aisle that he's walking along?  tekvicious' profile, for instance, will be widely read, and the sales assistant will be waiting outside to welcome him.. to "that" special type of shop (just half kidding).

Nowadays it's always useful to be able to know and call someone, because with expanded transportation, people tend to move a lot; the handphone helps in coordinating meetings and relaying business information.
With tracking reception, it can also be used for personal safety.

However one thinks the young ones don't see it as it is - a tool - but more as a personal friend. Perhaps, with more types of applications centered on the handphone as coordinating tool, they will be able to use it to increase their productivity as well;  that would depend on market forces behind investing in mobile development.  There are at least fifty nifty mobile applications which can be activated on a global basis right-away.

Anyway, to get an sms first thing in the morning, like 'i love you' is better than drinking any caffeinated beverage.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.