Author: frothow

Wy cant the chinese make a good movie? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-5 04:58:15 |Display all floors
I can think of a few reasons:

* Cultural gap: you need some basic understanding about China to appreciate the movies. This is true also for American movies, but America is today's Rome, and everybody knows about that culture. This is a vanishing reason, if it exists, since China is more and more in focus.

* Politics and business: China utilizes protectionism in the movie business, and only a handful Western movies are allowed to go up every year. This is not about censorship, but about protecting the national industry; people watch the Western stuff on pirated DVDs. In the other end, MPAA and other greedy organizations in the mafia cartel that controls the Western movie industry might turn down Chinese movies more often than necessary, since they prefer to release domestic feel-good movies like Legally Blonde to promote the domestic industry.

* Language: In most of Europe, language is not a problem, as movies are regularly subtitled rather than dubbed, although dubbing is common in Germany, Italy and a few other nations. In the US, people are not used to subtitling, but prefer dubbed movies. Dubbing movies is a very very bad thing, as it takes away from the original quality. It is like painting over Mona Lisa with Chinese characters or something. And by the way, Chinese TV also use dubbing of Western movies. I refuse to watch dubbed movies.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-5 05:21:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-4-5 03:50
I've seen some of these movies, and they are good; however, that's not the point--the point is why don't more Chinese movies become international hits?

OK, but That is other question, I was referring about who started the post, however what does mean international hit? are you talking about... money or quality?

Originally posted by liangzai at 2006-4-5 04:58 I refuse to watch dubbed movies.

Totally agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-6 13:53:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by frothow at 4-3-2006 06:48
Dont get me wrong i loved the king Kong movies when i was a kid ,but as a adult i have yet to see a chinese movie that the critics dont  laugh about .

soryr, not reading all the post herein..

but, it's my understanding the kinkg kong movies were japanese, not chinese.

hmmm, what about crouching tiger, flying daggers, etc, aren't all those Chinese?

Besides, they gave us much better things like philosphy, food, graceful women, etc, so I don't think there's much to complain about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 02:33:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mikeghet at 2006-4-6 13:53

soryr, not reading all the post herein..

but, it's my understanding the kinkg kong movies were japanese, not chinese.

hmmm, what about crouching tiger, flying daggers, etc, aren't a ...

King Kong? That's American. I think you guys got it confused with Godzilla, which is Japanese by the way.
"扶摇万重兮,
放我麒麟冲荡。
清清渭水兮,
舞我手中霓裳。 "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 11:43:49 |Display all floors

Some Chinese movies are good.

I found that some Chinese movies that are made to compete with foreign ones are somehow luxury and superficial. Some local ones are pretty good, like 鸳鸯蝴蝶,独自等待。hehe^0^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 13:13:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by observer3 at 4-7-2006 02:33

King Kong? That's American. I think you guys got it confused with Godzilla, which is Japanese by the way.

LOL...you are dead right.  I was thinking king kong...oh yeah,  the fire breathing dinosaur!!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-7 13:20:08 |Display all floors
LOL...you are dead right.  I was thinking king kong...oh yeah,  the fire breathing dinosaur!!  

It's a Iguana that mutated from nuclear radiation of the warheads.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.