Author: frothow

Wy cant the chinese make a good movie? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-3 16:29:33 |Display all floors
Li Lianjie (Jet Li) is a big star in the West. He has appeared in movies like Romeo Must Die (leading roll) and Lethal Weapon 4.

Language is of course the main reason why Chinese actors don't get too many parts in Western movies, and also the reason why Westerners don't get many parts in Chinese movies (and when they do, they play barbarian soldiers, crooks or drug traffickers).
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 19:35:54 |Display all floors

Reply #15 liangzai's post

Li Lianjie (Jet Li) is a big star in the West. He has appeared in movies like Romeo Must Die (leading roll) and Lethal Weapon 4.

Have you watched Jet Li's new film "Unleashed"(猛虎出笼), also named as"Deathless Dog" by Hongkong?
Under my injudicious understand: Jet Li in this film showed nothing about justice or emprise that he used to be, but only acted as violent wolf dog who is utilized as tool.
On this film, I am feeling sorry for Jet Li's personality and suffering the discrimination towards "the big star in the west". The film of "Unleashed" is absolutely a tattered matter.

Language is of course the main reason why Chinese actors don't get too many parts in Western movies, and also the reason why Westerners don't get many parts in Chinese movies.

Do you allude Zhang Ziyi?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-4 04:05:46 |Display all floors
Wy cant the chinese make a good movie?

That is your opinion and I'm really sorry but, I can't agree with your comentary and besides... I thing you don't know what are you talking about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-4 06:44:18 |Display all floors

Reply #17 yosikeno's post

Its not my opinion its world opinion. Don't get me wrong i suppose some Chinese movies are good as i have not seen them all , but were are the world wide hits from china?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-4 07:17:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by frothow at 2006-4-4 06:44
Its not my opinion its world opinion. Don't get me wrong i suppose some Chinese movies are good as i have not seen them all , but were are the world wide hits from china?

They are there, like in "Hero" and "Chongqing Express", like in "The Red Lantern" and "Farewell My Concubine", like in "The Shanghai Triad" and "Not One Less", like in "The Blue Kite" and "Yellow Earth".

The problem is how you measure things. The world's most productive place for movies is in fact Bollywood in India, but they are not so popular outside India (although the Chinese like Indian movies). "Armageddon" and similar stuff might be popular in the Western sphere (which is of the same size as the Chinese culture sphere alone), but less known outside it. And you make your judgements from within that Western sphere.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-5 03:07:28 |Display all floors
Here you are some good movies, (in my opinion of course) they  were make more or less in this last 2 years (maybe I'm wrong with some of them), they  I've only seen  between 2005/2006.
I recommend you to whatch some of this, then perhaps it will change your opinion against  the qualities of chinese movies ;-)

CHINA (Mainland)

A time to love (qing ren jie)
About Love
Hands in the hair (zuo tou)
Huayao Bride in Sangrila (Hua Yao Xin Niang)
Peacock (kong que)
Riding Alone for Thousand Miles (Qian li zou dan qi)
Shanghai Dreams (Qing Hong)
Sunflower (Xiang ri kui)
Sunrise Sunset  
The Promise (Wu Ji)
Shanghai Story
Ke Ke Xi Li
Purple butterfly
A Letter from an unknown Woman (Yi ge mo sheng nu ren de)
Night and Day (riri yeye)

CHINA (Hong Kong):

Election (Hak seh wui)
Embrace your Shadow (Dzi oi)
Everlasting Regret (Changhen ge)
Seven Swords (qi jian)
SPL
A-1
Breaking News
A world without thieves
20:30:40

CHINA (Taiwan):

The Wayward Cloud (Tian bian yi duo yun)
Three times (Zui hao de shi guang)
The world (Shijie)

[ Last edited by yosikeno at 2006-4-6 05:02 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-5 03:50:08 |Display all floors
I've seen some of these movies, and they are good; however, that's not the point--the point is why don't more Chinese movies become international hits? Only someone who lives/lived in China or has close contact with those who do would have ever heard of most of these.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.