Author: frothow

Wy cant the chinese make a good movie? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-3 08:35:16 |Display all floors
Pardon me... the Chinese seem to dislike any Chinese movie that is widely released in the US. From those I talked to while I was there, they seemed to think "Crouching Tiger" and "Hero" were pretty "eh"... nothing special.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 09:20:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-4-3 08:35
Pardon me... the Chinese seem to dislike any Chinese movie that is widely released in the US. From those I talked to while I was there, they seemed to think "Crouching Tiger" and "He ...

People in China had some nationalist sentiments about "Crouching tiger" since it was Taiwanese and featured actors from Hongkong and Singapore (minus Zhang Ziyi) with an accent. They really do like it, but they won't admit it!

I never heard any negative comments about Hero in China. It has been broadcast on TV on prime time together with Braveheart and other generally great movies on programs with expert commentary.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 10:05:46 |Display all floors

We've discussed this many times before!

But not for very long because the western movie business is indeed spending a lot more money to make movies while "good" pictures are "good" because they have a relationship to some meaning in life.

"Kung Fu Hustle" appeared to be the world's longest commedy and then the ending (that I just can't 'give away') well that makes it a very memorable picture.  In "Memoirs of a Geisha" I got the same memorable feeling from reading the book.

I think spending a lot of money on a movie like "Memoirs of a Geisha" produced a cinamagraphic spectacle but a movie like "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" has the sort of script that gives the viewer a memorable visit with the cast.

[ Last edited by broken_heart at 2006-4-3 10:50 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 10:13:30 |Display all floors
I do't think  Chinese movie is a mess.  I've also seen so many good Chinese good movies.
Whenever you judge a movie is good or not, you have to pose yourself into the local cuture and
try to understand the people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 13:02:28 |Display all floors
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was nothing 'fresh' or special to the Chinese viewers due to the fact that 'Stringed stunts' were around since old school Chinese Kung-Fu flics. The westerns however never was exposed to this therefore it was 'fresh' and 'extraordinary / two thumbs up material. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was simply a opportunistic flic that capitalized on the ignorance and unscathed westerner eyes in terms of stringed Kung-fu movies. Also, in Brokeback mountain...Ang Lee happened to have the balls to display homosexuality out in the open on the silver screen which again was opportunistic and capitalized on a fresh view for the audiences. When you try bring to the public something new you are gambling with a hit  miss or 50/50 chance of approval. However the returns can be huge along with setting a milestone for this kind of film.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 16:09:13 |Display all floors

Wy cant the chinese make a good movie?

maybe the chinese movies do not satisfy u !!!! but why the chinese movies need to  content  ur taste !!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 16:15:56 |Display all floors
western audiences often recognize their own good movies hinging on grand scene and massive finance supporting.

also western audiences likely accept Chinese movies with China's backward trait, which is even repulsive by Chinese. it is unaccountable for us to know what is western enjoy for?

adding the fact that some chinese KongFu stars, such as Li lianjie, Zhou runfa, seem forever only having the chance to perform in some fringe western movies, that make them feeling triumphant.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.