Views: 9462|Replies: 41

Wy cant the chinese make a good movie? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-3 06:48:06 |Display all floors
Dont get me wrong i loved the king Kong movies when i was a kid ,but as a adult i have yet to see a chinese movie that the critics dont  laugh about .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 06:58:52 |Display all floors

May I ask who are those critics?

Originally posted by frothow at 2006-4-3 06:48
Dont get me wrong i loved the king Kong movies when i was a kid ,but as a adult i have yet to see a chinese movie that the critics dont  laugh about .

May I ask who are those critics?:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 07:13:47 |Display all floors

The American public!

The Chinese have yet to produce a movie that will induce a world wide demand as the American movie makers do .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 07:19:33 |Display all floors

let me rephrase this

The world opinion of Chinese movies is not good for the adult population  . But the kids of the world all love "creacher double feacher"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 07:35:18 |Display all floors
I thought "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" was received well here, as was "Hero." The Chinese and American publics seem to disagree on what makes a good Chinese movie, though... the Chinese seem to dislike all the movies that are widely released in the US.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 08:27:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-4-3 07:35

I thought "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" was received well here, as was "Hero." The Chinese and American publics seem to disagree on what makes a good Chinese movie, though... the Chinese seem to dislike all the movies that are widely released in the US.

The Chinese like essentially what you like, and they buy virtually every new Western release in the nearest pirate DVD shop. Action and science fiction are especially popular.

There are many Chinese movies that have been received well in the West, especially lately, when China bought up whatever remained of analog equipment as Hollywood went digital. The combination of this and the Fifth Generation of directors in China, plus a surge in good actors, have made China the master of modern color film. Hero is just one of the examples of this. I have made lists in other threads.

"Croughing tiger..." is from Taiwan, though, with a mixed cast from Beijing and Hongkong.

The difference is that the Chinese love soap operas on TV and fart and fly movies that Westerners don't understand. Chinese soap operas usually have a classic setting with an emperor, concubines, thieves, traitors, and so on, and they are inaccessible to anyone who hasn't the right educational background.

For the same reason, the Chinese might not understand heavy Western pieces like Schindler's List, because they don't have the necessary background to absorb the plot.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-3 08:31:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by liangzai at 2006-4-3 08:27

they are inaccessible to anyone who hasn't the right educational background.

Which reminds me that many Chinese thought it strange that foreigners study classic Chinese in universities abroad. But without classic Chinese, you can't understand even soap operas, because they are filled with classic lines and proverbs.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.