Author: tmphgt

Tonight's menu ... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-30 00:56:08 |Display all floors

Ah ha ...

My thread is being hijacked by pictures of tasty food!

Well, my friend and I are going to eat tons of Chinese food tonight ... Ok, so it isn't 100% real Chinese food and more like the HK'nese owned fusion food restaurants we get here
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 00:59:09 |Display all floors

Maybe it is a delicacy for many people....

Originally posted by feijoa at 2006-3-30 00:36
红烧甲鱼

Maybe it is a delicacy for many people....I have to say I pass.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 01:47:12 |Display all floors

Post # 21 & 24

也许我明白: "看着就倒胃口!"  = turn my stomach, make me vomit! (呕吐?)Like post #28?

我吃素,所以这些照片使我要呕吐! 在中国饭店,他们给我那个小鸡(see #19)。我转动 the big round thing away, 放小鸡在别人!

I think I wrote:
I am vegetarian, so all these pictures make me want to vomit! At a Chinese restaurant, they put this small chicken in front of me (see #19). I turned the big round thing away, moving the chicken near other people!

That took me a very long time to write. I should be going now.... I had to consult my dictionary! phew!
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 02:15:52 |Display all floors
I like the "big bowl of miscellaneous germ" or whatever in #10. Funny that they can spell "miscellaneous" but can't seem to properly translate any of their dishes...

My friends and I observed at a favorite restaurant of ours while in Beijing that the fish in the tanks had actually become smart--they learned to float around in the tank upside down! If you look for a moment, you can see they're still alive, but someone grabbing hastily with a net wouldn't go for them. Smart fish!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 03:56:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thunderbird at 2006-3-29 19:49

I wonder how the hell can Pepper Salt be translated into Fuc* the salt? I am scratching my head on that one.:)

OMG! How did it come out like that?????????

Let me figure it out...

Two possibilities:

1) The owner of the restaurant didn't know English while the "translator" didn't know what 椒盐 was...

So, the translator made a phone call to the owner:

Translator [in Chinese, with heavy accent]: Hi, what the hell is 椒(jiao) in 椒盐(jiao yan)? Is it 胡椒 (hujiao) or is it 辣椒 (lajiao)?
Owner [he was busy at the moment...] What the hell are you talking about? It is not 胡交(hujiao), neither is it 乱交(luanjiao).  F^^k! it is...
Translator: Ok, got you! [hang up the phone]
Owner [continuing]: ...pepper!!!

2) The translator was using WinZM.chm (郑码输入法) in his system, he didn't know what 椒盐 was as in case (1) above.  So, he probably typed the Chinese 椒 first and followed by "the salt" in English, he would check the dictionary later...

But, he forgot to press Ctrl+Shift, so, his system is still in English:

"FIKX (code for 椒 in WinZM.chm) the salt" he typed.

When the owner's son (he was learning English) saw the translation, he "correct" the wrong word "FIKS" into the "right " word...as you have seen...

[ Last edited by afri_simba at 2006-3-30 12:00 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 05:40:52 |Display all floors
Well, one of my professors derived how "fuck" had been written when it should have been "push." Look at how PUSH appears in caps; now look at FUCK. Someone with poor English skills could've left out the loop that makes an F into a P; could've written only the top half of the S, and then messed up the H... voila, PUSH becomes FUCK (I think the sign was behind the counter at a restaurant that said FUCK FOR FRIES or something similar).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 05:57:09 |Display all floors

Hmmm ...

Originally posted by sockmonkey at 29-3-2006 09:40 PM
(I think the sign was behind the counter at a restaurant that said FUCK FOR FRIES or something similar).

Cheap prostitutes?
haha.gif
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.