Author: dupodong

Brainstorm-VI: what's the purpose of education, that is, why we need schooling? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-28 15:05:08 |Display all floors

Reply #34 markwu's post

Originally posted by markwu at 2006-4-9 12:58
The education one has just says there's a greater chance the educated person will be able to realize these tasks faster and more efficiently.  Nothing to do with expectations of being paid better or treated better....

I somehow completely failed to appreciate the ... your logic.

Since education has something to do with people performing their task better or more efficiently, then, education should have everything to do with expectations of being paid better and people with education should earn more than people who don't have a decent education.

it is just common sense, nothing difficult to understand.

It is not a healthy society that does not reward education properly.
Opinions are determined by interests, but interests are a matter of opinion.
David Hume

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-28 15:17:25 |Display all floors

rules for students

Regulations for American Pupils and Middle School Students
1. Always refer to a teacher by title and last name.
2. Get to class on time or a little earlier.
3. Raise your hand when you want to ask a question.
4. You may speak to the teacher from your desk while you are seated.
5. When you are absent, you must make up the work you have missed. Ask either the teacher or a classmate for the work.
6. If you expect to be away from school because of an emergency, tell your teacher in advance and ask for the work you will miss.
7. All assignments you hand in must be your own work.
8. Never cheat on a test.
9. If you are having difficulty with a class, schedule an appointment to see the teacher for help. The teacher will be glad to help you.
10.Students must bring a note for a parent explaining any absence or tardiness.
11.The only acceptable excuse for absence is personal illness, a death in the family, or a religious holiday. It is illegal to stay home from school for any other.
12.When a teacher asks a question and does not name a particular student to answer it, anyone who knows the answer should raise one hand.

while chinese rules are slogans and big empty moral lessons intended to mold the students out as walking machines thinking and doing about the same thing. plain stupid.
中国
中小学生守则with simple translation
1、热爱祖国,热爱人民,热爱中国共产党。Love country, people and communist party
2、遵守法律法规,增强法律意识。遵守校规校纪,遵守社会公德。Obey rules and regulations every and any.
3、热爱科学,努力学习,勤思好问,乐于探究,积极参加社会实践和有益的活动。Love science, study hard, think and be curious and ask questions and take part in good activities.
4、珍爱生命,注意安全,锻炼身体,讲究卫生。Love life, safety, do exercise and note hygiene.
5、自尊自爱,自信自强,生活习惯文明健康。Love oneself and be confident and be civilized.
6、积极参加劳动,勤俭朴素,自己能做的事自己做。Labouring for yourself, be industrious, frugal
7、孝敬父母,尊敬师长,礼貌待人。Respect your parents, teacher and other people
8、热爱集体,团结同学,互相帮助,关心他人。Love collectives, fellow students and help each other.
9、诚实守信,言行一致,知错就改,有责任心。Be honest, be responsible.
10、热爱大自然,爱护生活环境。Love nature, love environment.
Opinions are determined by interests, but interests are a matter of opinion.
David Hume

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-30 09:48:23 |Display all floors

Reply #37 asmanthink's post

while chinese rules are slogans and big empty moral lessons intended to mold the students out as walking machines thinking and doing about the same thing. plain stupid.

good post!
i think there is not a single student who is able or willing to remember these rules, the more the rules rule the more the students hate and want to revolt.
why rules? why not give students their healthy instinct that belong to them from their birth?
the nature rule is within them, not outside them.
and the more they pursue it outside, the more they lose it inside.
the more the laws are made, the more the crimes increase.
so, donot do this rule things any more, for the sake of their bright future.
if there is a law we must obey, it is totally not made by authority, but by nature itself.
great nature and infinite universe will tell us all the truth about life, love, and work.
and the only effect of the rules made by authority is the losing of the men's self-control, and the increasing of the control of the rule-makers, that is, those so-called authorities.

for where there is the moral, there is the losing of life.
and where the life begins, there the moral perishs.

so stop doing harm to the innocent children again.
and give back what belong to them in the beginning.
and let the people become what they really are.
no more rules, no more compulsion, but the freedom to think, to speak, and to act.

[ Last edited by dupodong at 2006-4-30 10:04 AM ]
hope.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-30 09:58:58 |Display all floors

Great comparison,
When it comes to the Chinese school policy...let me just ask a simple 'How? and Why?" There was no hint of 'question if confused or seeking a deeper understanding in those slogans whatsoever.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-1 11:47:02 |Display all floors
Maybe we can see the problem from a radical perspective.
In the 60s last century, there was a movement called "deschooling" upsurging in US, which accused formal education of ideological function. It suggested that the formal education defined what was " knowledge " , while marginalized the part it did not want peple to reach.
Therefore the so-called "knowledge" is institutionalized knowledge that has been processed by the system. It's the biggest modern pesudology.
Besides, the education reform ( enlarging the enrollment of university)  and the decentralization of education ( a great number of private schools emerging) aggravated the deploma-inflation. The threshold of success is lifted up, and the competition is more furious.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-3 02:12:40 |Display all floors

education

is replacing an empty mind, with an open one

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-5-3 12:05:05 |Display all floors

divina- who said that? I've heard it before...

POST #40 - I am homeschooling my son, in fact sort of "unschooling" as some call it. His school was doing more harm than good, so I took him out. Unschooling means learning through life, not sitting at books at exact times. I'm glad you brought up that subject.

POST #38 - DUPODONG - did you write that yourself or is that from something you read? It is so impressive! It is exactly why I took my son out of school. I especially loved:
"why not give students their healthy instinct that belong to them from their birth?
the nature rule is within them, not outside them."
and
"let the people become what they really are.
no more rules, no more compulsion, but the freedom to think, to speak, and to act."

Oh, if we would only let children and people grow and change as nature intends... nature doesn't mess up the trees does she? Or the flowers? No, they are all perfect. What about all the other animals? What about them, they are perfect as they grow according to nature.... so why do we mess ourselves up?!? Who do we think we are, that we are BETTER THAN NATURE?!? That we can impose rules and schedules and overcome nature??? Ha!  Nature will always win and be the most powerful. And those that go against the grain will lose in the end.
.... ok, that all may sound off-topic, like I'm going crazy, waving my hands in the air, but it does apply to how we raise our children and even ourselves.

A famous quote:
"Great nature and infinite universe will tell us all the truth about life, love, and work." - dupodong

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-5-3 12:07 PM ]
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.