Author: eye2eye

The Wa Nationality Treats People with Sunbathed Earth [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-29 13:21:23 |Display all floors
Interesting about the name of the game. Can the word 摸 be used in normal daily life, like, he touched my arm, or don't touch the stove, it's hot?

So if I, with my white skin, walk into a Wa village, will they think I'm a curse and send their strongest bravest men out to cover me with black mud? That's ok.

And yes, pictures would definitely be fun!
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-29 13:31:40 |Display all floors

Ooh! Look!

I found this:
http://www.kepu.ac.cn/english/nationalitysw/wa/index.html

There are six different topics about the Wa. There are other Chinese ethnic minorities there as well, and some small pictures of each.

And here is:
"Minorities Park Beijing: Wood Drum of Wa Nationality on display in Beijing Park."

There is more info (& more pictures) about drums and music at the above site. It's so interesting! Making a new drum is a sacred thing, it takes 20 days. The picture here is the end of the drum, it is long, made from a tree, and has its own house, a male drum and a female drum. Go read more! Go read more! I want to make a drum out of a tree now! Who will help me?

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-3-29 01:37 PM ]
min019-drum-end.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-29 13:33:19 |Display all floors
Here is a Wa girl. You can read about what the rings on her body mean at the above link.
wazu.gif

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-29 14:12:04 |Display all floors
Can anyone explain any of the words on the drum??? Please, please, please!!!

I'll give a little try first. I can look these up sometime in a dictionary, but it's late and the dictionary is in another room, so let's see what I can see, only using my own little brain..... 我用我的小脑子.

Maybe in the middle is a bull or cattle head, with a circle above, and is that a ‘nu', woman hanzi? (Why can't I type nu in chinese??? What's the secret?!?) It must be the female drum.

- Below is 天, heaven? Why isn't it above? I would put it above (heehee, I'm joking!)
- To the left is a hanzi that is made up of wood/tree木 and center中.  Is that an easy one and I forgot?
- To the right, does that have to do with music?

- Going around the next layer, on top, is that 氏, and does it mean body, or self? Or is that a different hanzi?
- Next is an open box with a mouth in it, a mouth with words. That means the drum is speaking to me, saying, "study more Chinese and you will be able to read me!"
- The next two are easy -  hand & work/skill - 手,工.
- The next one is *crazy*, but the one after that looks like south, 南.

Ok, the rest looks like "chicken scratch" to me! That's what my grandmother would call it if she couldn't read my father's handwriting.

~~~~~~~~
edit: Oh, I'm on a different page than the drum, forgive me for posting it again, but now you can easily see it next to my post, and maybe someone can help me understand it!
:)

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-3-29 02:15 PM ]
min019-drum-end.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 00:16:48 |Display all floors
Seems Freaky is destinated to Wa Village.  We have a saying 不到长城非好汉 (He who has never been to the Great Wall is not a true man).  Freaky, for you, 不到佤寨非好女!(You will not be a true lady until you reach Wa Village!).

Readings on the drum-end:

(1) read vertically:

通天: reach heaven or connect to the Holy Spirit.

(2) 神器: holy instrument

(1)+(2)=通天神器: Holy instrument connecting to the Spirit (God or Heaven)

(3) 佤族: Wa Nationality

(4) 民间: folk (or traditional)

(5) 手工: handcraft

(6) 雕凿: chisel

Yes, in the middle, there is a cow 牛 (pinyin: niu)头. My! You read 牛(niu) as nu???

[ Last edited by afri_simba at 2006-3-29 07:18 PM ]
drum-end.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 00:24:58 |Display all floors

Moh Nin Hei!

MohNinHei.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 00:28:06 |Display all floors

Wa Village

WaVillage.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.