Views: 3079|Replies: 4

Need yr help to improve my oral English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-27 08:20:47 |Display all floors
Hey, guys, the last morning I take an training which is called the Advanced interpretation training, I do like to hear from your side of how to improve oral English, esp. the pronunciation, cos my teacher suggest me to improve it. But the book: speaking naturally he advised I couldnt find it in the foreign bookstore. Thus here  I would like you guys help me and suggest me how to improve it?

Thanks in advance!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 13:22:37 |Display all floors

CHEW THE WORDS...

Hi,
Try to read anything you may be interested in but VERY SLOWLY and CHEW the words by syllabes like for exemple; determination...DE...TER...MI..NA..TION and repeat until you feel as you could say it faster. Then move on to another.
Goodluck.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 14:31:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tellmeso2 at 2006-3-27 13:22
Hi,
Try to read anything you may be interested in but VERY SLOWLY and CHEW the words by syllabes like for exemple; determination...DE...TER...MI..NA..TION and repeat until you feel as you could sa ...

really?it is helpful for me to improve it?i find it is not hard to speak it out,but it is hard for me to speak it correct it which make me so sulk every time/ i am glad that we can practise with each other and share our experience.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-1 14:23:04 |Display all floors

Speech

If you want to improve your pronunciation, you must first of all understand basic sounds in English: what we call the phonemes. Words are made up of a number of phonemic sounds. Without being clear about these basic phonemic sounds and how to make the sounds with your mouth, it is hard to pronounce words correctly.

Some of the sounds in English are different from the sounds that you make in Chinese, though they may appear to be similar. You must understand these differences and then get the right English sounds.

To get some idea of what I am talking about, have a look at this website:
http://www.soundsofenglish.org/pronunciation/index.htm

When you start getting these sounds right, you will find your word pronunciation starting to improve.

Next, speaking naturally in English is more than just putting well-pronounced words together.  You need to understand a number of other things,  including word stress, sentence stress, intonation and connected speech.

To understand a native speaker well, you really need to understand sentence stress, that is, which words in a sentence are stressed, and which ones are weak. This is quite different from Chinese.

Also, in natural spoken English, we don't usually pronounce each word clearly and separately in sentences (unless perhaps when we are speaking to children or to someone who is not very bright). We tend to "connect" words together in different ways. This is called "connected speech". To really understand native speakers, you must also understand the rules of connected speech, and understand how word pronunciation changes in sentences. You can try to find books and materials that deal with all the above. I hope you find this useful.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-1 15:36:20 |Display all floors
yes, Changcheng, u r correct and useful for me.
Thank u for yr advices.

Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.